Tackle innovations

fongy74

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on how to get help with an inovative piece of tackle i have been developing? i already approached an angling development company but they wanted me to have a solicitor ect before they would even have a look at my product,apparently in case i was to accuse them of stealing my idea.Does anyone have any ideas?:):)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, they were being very fair with you, I'd recommend that you take their advice.

Further, if the item can be the subject of a Patent, then it is a good idea to apply for one prior to talking to anyone about manufacture etc.

Patents can be for the UK only, EU or Worldwide, so you need to review the benefits of each carefully.

Last edited:

clint4782

Reaction score
I agree with Peter, protect yourself and your idea first, then approach others....In my limited experience, any manufacturing, distributing and selling of innovation is a cut throat game, so do the ground work first....

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Questions you must ask yourself first, Fongy -

1. Does it solve a problem that exists?
  2. Is the problem widely experienced - in other words, will the product sell well afterwards?
  3. What will be the end RRP and can it be made for a reasonably small amount of cash including prototypes?

Two examples, a friend of mine developed a new bait cup to dangle off a pole which had two problems - 1) other systems, pole pots, did similar job, were cheaper, less cumbersome, and already available. 2) it was grossly ugly.

Another idea has been dropped entirely by a manufacturer, but in this case it was a sound invention, so much stronger than the present method and anglers need this change desperately, and it would last thereby saving us money in the longer term. However, in order for it to sell you would have to change everyone's mind from using the present inadequate method to the new one and that was almost an impossibility with everyone selling the existing one and making vast profits. In other words, just because it's better doesn't mean it will sell. A bit like oil products really.

fongy74

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts Jeff and to all others who have given advice,it realy is good to hear other folks thoughts to help keep an open perspective it's easy to get into the habit of going over and over the same stuff in your head and whilst in the couple of days since i posted this thread i have been contacted by an angling development company,i am definately going to take on board everything you guys have said and not rush into anything.Cheers lads.