Spade end knot

paul80

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of help with a spade end knot

When I was a kid in the seventies I always used spade end hooks and used a knot that allowed them to be tied direct to the end of the main line.

Now after many years away I cannot for the life of me remember how I used to tie these hooks

Anyone got recomendations for a good knot to use on a spade tied diret to the main line

Thanks

Paul

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Domhoff knot whipping knot or snell knot. I think i use the basic whipping knot. Should be an image on net for it soemwhere. Easy to tie on bank, although getting harder with small hooks as my eyesight is not was it was.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I also use a Hook Tyer, unless it's big big hooks then i use a Snell Knot.

Here is a video link from Drennan showing how to use their Hook Tyer, it's very good and very simple to follow.

Drennan International

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For 'one-off' hook lenghts on the bank then it is the Drennan hook Tyer every time, but for mass produced hooklenghts tied at home I use the Sensas Pierotti hook tyer.

With the Sensas 'machine' you get perfectly tied hooks every time and all of the same length too.

see: Sensas Pierotti hook tyer. | eBay

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys

Still can't figure out how I used to tie them

I know I only used to use hooks size 18 & 20, I cannot even see them now.

Might have to have a look at the drennan one to see how I get on.

I did give one of these elecrtic ones a go

In see video test !!!! electronic fishing hook Tyer new | eBay

And at under £8 delivered from China it actualy did a very good job, but was not much good on the smaller hooks, but that could have been me.

Paul

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Waggy - thats what i use - the first version shown. You can simply present a loop along the shank to start, the pinching part is the only really fiddly bit with small hooks. It helps if the line going back to the the rod tip is kept taught, either from a bailed reel or via holding the line between your knees about a yard above where you are tying the hook. The end that goes through the loop can be held with your teeth (taking care not to hook your lip!) as you set the whipping by pulling the line above the hook. I use 6-8 turns over the loop. You can have the line lying either side of the spade at the end of the shank, depending how you present the loop along the shank. I tend to put it on the outside.

paul80

Reaction score
Thanks for the Vid Waggy, that might well be the not I was looking for, my fingers must have been so much thinner as a kid, I used to nearly always use size 20 hooks and now I cannot see the spade on a 20. Still i have started to get the hang of using the matchman tyer so will probably stick to that or the chinese electric one.

Thanks for all the help guys

Paul

waggy

Reaction score
I was weaned on size 16s, Paul80. Practise on those and then 18s upwards will come easier.

---------- Post added at 03:17 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ----------

Waggy - thats what i use - the first version shown. You can simply present a loop along the shank to start, the pinching part is the only really fiddly bit with small hooks. It helps if the line going back to the the rod tip is kept taught, either from a bailed reel or via holding the line between your knees about a yard above where you are tying the hook. The end that goes through the loop can be held with your teeth (taking care not to hook your lip!) as you set the whipping by pulling the line above the hook. I use 6-8 turns over the loop. You can have the line lying either side of the spade at the end of the shank, depending how you present the loop along the shank. I tend to put it on the outside.

Yep, pinching and reversing direction are the bits to master. I manage with 4-5 turns. I use small forceps for drawing up the loose end.
As for 20s and smaller, I never use them nowadays, but if I did I'd buy factory whipped, I reckon.
It's important to match line thickness to hook size, I think, to make it easier.

ravey

Reaction score
Search youtube for "how to tie a spade end hooklength" and select the video by "beckford road". Same knot, but I find this easier than other methods, and you can go as small and fine as you like with a little practice (fine wire 26s to 0.05mm or less if you're so inclined). The loop knot shown in the video is another strong knot. My acknowledgements to Pete Newbold for showing this to me many years ago (and who is the 'star' in the clip); many thanks indeed.

rubio

Reaction score
I got a lot of sympathy re the failing eyesight. Can hardly see when it gets a bit overcast these days, but find tying spade-ends easier by touch than threading the eye of a size 18. I prefer first method shown with 9 turns in summer and 7 in winter. Can't truly remember when or why I started doing it like that but it's a habit that reminds me of what I expect to catch.
Mainline ALWAYS comes along back of shank, cos to my thinking it don't pull the point in right otherwise.
Incidentally I also still have a hooktie bit of kit but can't for the life of me remember how it work. If anyone can remind I would be grateful. Alternatively anyone got a cure for forgetting that'd be jus fine

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

I found these instructions by Dave Harrel on using the Matchmann quite usefull.

These are the clearer instructions that came with my Stonfo and they will work with the matchmann.

Unless you have the Drennan hook tyer in which case these instructions will be of no use and I could never figure out how to use that one either.

Paul