Chod rig help

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Just trying new ways of catching carp and a i stumbled across the helicopter/chod rig, the issue is that ive tied helicopter rigs but they seem to tangle, i dont know what im doing wrong (maybe hook length material?) but what rig would you use with a helicopter set-up? For the chod rig, what are the bites like? cos ive simulated a bite and it's rather weird and not what im used to, and what im used to is my traditional rigs that did catch (sometimes) Oh, and do you have to fish with boilies on the chod, or can u use bouyant plastic baits?
Thanks for any replys

carp_mad_man

Reaction score
Thgats a great vid, but it still doesnt answer my Q's about the bite indication onj chod rig fish or what i can do about my rigs for a helicopter set-up, thanks anyway, and for any more replys. CMM

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

Not sure if I can help but a Chod is basicaly a cut down heli rig with a short stiff hook ling and a popup bait, (I know its a bit more than that) but not a lot.

If you heli rigs are tangling then you are probably not getting your hooklength spinning during the cast. maybe its too tight on the reel line or your hook bait is too heavy, not hanging a pva bag on it are you.

As for bite indication, the take is just like a normal carp bite, although if the fish runs towards you I suspect it could get interesting if the hooklength tuns up the line and you leave the weight on the bottom. And you shouldn't fix the top bead to stop it doing that as its not carp safe if you do.

Paul

Beaker

Reaction score
For the helicopter part, make sure the swivel is free to rotate around the central leader. As for the chod, tie it just like Terry in the vids, and make sure you use the same material ESP Bristle filament and you should be fine. I build my chod rigs that way and THEY NEVER TANGLE:):):):wh

fongy74

Reaction score
if your chod is set correctly then the takes are usualy quite violent/fast,fish with slack lines as tight ones tend to lift the leadcore off the bottom resulting in bad presentation,also try using a chod rig without leadcore making sure you still use a stiff fillament for the actual hook length.Back to the fish picking your bait make sure your hook is as sharp as sharp can be alot of lost fish are the result of using insufficently sharp hooks,use steam to shape your chod and create that anti-eject effect you get from curving the chod filament and make sure youv'e got a peice of tungsten rig putty ot the bottom of the chod aswell as a very bouyant hookbait.If your choddy is set right you won't have any problems noticing whether or not you have a bite,you will know,hope this has helped,good luck.;)oh and you can use bouyant plastic baits on the chod.
Helicopter rig-if your having alot of tangles then it maybe because your using the wrong materials,a stiff bit of good quality rig tube held in place with a small shot will keep your hookbait away from the leader,use a permanent black marker to shade any glimmer away on the shot that may spook any wary carp also try varying your hooklength.I bet theres not many carp anglers who got the heli rig right the first time without the hooklength getting twisted round the leader get the terminal tackle that suites you best and keep trying different variations till you get it right,trial and error you will get it right if you persivere.

Last edited: