Rodsfor smallish waters

dalesman

Reaction score
Looking for a rod that can chuck a bait/lead and pva upto sixty yards on smallish waters upto five acres with fish into low twentys. Dont like poker stiff rods.

Last used a diawa powermesh about eight years ago, which had a test curve of two and half pounds.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Looking for a rod that can chuck a bait/lead and pva upto sixty yards on smallish waters upto five acres with fish into low twentys. Dont like poker stiff rods.

Last used a diawa powermesh about eight years ago, which had a test curve of two and half pounds.

The problem you have is that sixty yards is not an inconsiderable chuck with a PVA bag and a lead. This sort of tactic are precisely why so many modern carp rods are a bit on the pokerish side.

I still have, and regularly use, 2.5lb Daiwa Powermesh Carp rods. They are a lot more fun to play single figure to mid double carp. However, I only use them on small waters and don't even attempt bag work with them. They just aren't a casting tool.

I suspect that the best you'll do in a modern rod is to look at something that's marketed as a "fish playing" action, or similar. After seeing a Shimano Catana BX 2.75lb fish playing action in my usual tackle shop, I was seriously considering retiring my old Powermesh. They also do 2, 2.25 and 2.5lb if you wanted to go lighter, quite unusual in modern carp rods.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
With that distance and 'load' in mind I would opt towards my Greys X-flite rods in 2¾lb T/C

They will punch out that 'load' and still give you an enjoyable fight when attached to a decent upper-double or bigger Carp.

I've used them for about 4 years now and have been very happy with them.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I guess some of this also depends on exactly what you mean by "a lead and some pva"... for example, I reckon I could hit 60 yards quite comfortably with a 1.5oz lead and a tiny (10p size) mesh of micro pellet with a 1.75lb tc barbel rod... however, there are some folks who feel compelled to use a 3oz lead at all times regardless of range (and that's not what we're debating here...) because of it's effectiveness on the take/ bolt... also, a big PVA bag is going to add a couple of ounces too... so really, for casting a combined wight of 5 or 6 ounces ANY distance with accuracy, you'll probably want something 2.75lb tc plus...

For what it's worth, I've always found it a little strange that many carp anglers fish with overgunned tackle. Sure, if you need to go 100 yards +, then the big pit and 3.5lb tc stuff is proabably essential. However, you see a lot of this type of gear being used by anglers on commercials where their only fishing 30 or 40 yards out! I'm sure that in some cases, this is because they only have the one set of gear, but equally with others you can only surmise that from the accompanying mountain of matching tackle that they have with them that money isn't probably tight.

Personally, I want to enjoy the fight of the fish as much as possible, and a rod that actually bends is a must for me. I use a pair of really old Daiwa avons for a lot of my carping because I'm fishing small lakes with smaller fish and I don't see the point in overdoing it....

The powermesh's have something of a following don't they? Could be thinking of something else though....

terry m

Reaction score
I guess some of this also depends on exactly what you mean by "a lead and some pva"... for example, I reckon I could hit 60 yards quite comfortably with a 1.5oz lead and a tiny (10p size) mesh of micro pellet with a 1.75lb tc barbel rod... however, there are some folks who feel compelled to use a 3oz lead at all times regardless of range (and that's not what we're debating here...) because of it's effectiveness on the take/ bolt... also, a big PVA bag is going to add a couple of ounces too... so really, for casting a combined wight of 5 or 6 ounces ANY distance with accuracy, you'll probably want something 2.75lb tc plus...

For what it's worth, I've always found it a little strange that many carp anglers fish with overgunned tackle. Sure, if you need to go 100 yards +, then the big pit and 3.5lb tc stuff is proabably essential. However, you see a lot of this type of gear being used by anglers on commercials where their only fishing 30 or 40 yards out! I'm sure that in some cases, this is because they only have the one set of gear, but equally with others you can only surmise that from the accompanying mountain of matching tackle that they have with them that money isn't probably tight.

Personally, I want to enjoy the fight of the fish as much as possible, and a rod that actually bends is a must for me. I use a pair of really old Daiwa avons for a lot of my carping because I'm fishing small lakes with smaller fish and I don't see the point in overdoing it....

The powermesh's have something of a following don't they? Could be thinking of something else though....

Whilst I empathise with your point of view, my view is contrary.

I regularly fish with iether 2.75lb or 3lb tc rods and I have yet to catch a mid double - let alone a high twenty - that does not put a significant bend into it. The rod does not need to fold in half to 'get a good fight'.

Conversely I have hooked very large fish in Avon wierpools, maybe carp, maybe barbel I truly don't know, on lighter gear (1.5lb tc) and have quickly lost them simply because the gear was not able to cope.

Fish safety does not begin and end with rigs, if you main tackle is fundamentally undergunned then you are acting in a less than responsible way.