The Fishing Book

Jason Harvey 2

Reaction score
Just a quick note to let you guys know about a web site www.thefishingbook.co.uk which I have recently set up for the purpose of reviewing fishing books. There are some links to some of the bigger publishers and a few reviews of some of their books. So if you like what you see, then you can go direct to the publisher and purchase your books from them, in some cases they even offer a discount for online buyers.

I hope you like what you see, as and when I get new books for review the site will be updated so please keep coming back Periodically to see whats new.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Jason,

It's a valiant attempt but here's some constructive criticism.

1. You need to work on your grammar and punctuation. The differences between it's (it is) and its (possessed by it), which and that, etc. are jarring. Commas are sprinkled, over-generously, at times.
2. The reviews are gushing rather than critical.
3. Your books for sale prices are speculative!

It might help if you get an experienced editor to look at your writing, or treat yourself to that excellent little book, The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

Beecy

Reaction score
I cant read it because of the dark red background (mind you, my desk is by the window and i get a bit of glare - it might be different if I have a look later when the suns moved round)

C

Cakey

Beecy not just you mate ...........I thought it was my variefocals but.........

Jason Harvey 2

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, I had wondered about the colour of the text myself, although those I asked said it was fine for them. However I have now changed the colour so please take another look and let me know if this works better for everyone. The site will only get better if you continue to comment on what can be improved!

Beecy

Reaction score
I think that is better Jason, but to be honest it still doesnt stand out enough for me

its still hard work to read so I loose interest after a few lines, I dont think the bold type helps

( tell me to sod off if you want !!! )

W

Wolfman Woody

I would agree with Mark's first comment.

If you had just posted a comment on FM, say, as an average reader against a review by someone else then grammatical errors can be forgiven. It's the fact that you are commenting on other's writing that makes the difference, you must be seen to be as good as in order to carry authority, if you see my point? Don't give up though, it will come.

A good tip is, once you have written a sentence, try to find another way of structuring it to eliminate commas. Use the same ingredients, but swap them around so they say the same, but in a slightly different way.

or -

Having written a sentence you might try to find other ways of expressing the same meaning using fewer commas. Swap the ingredients around whilst conveying the same points.

See? Hope it helps.

S

Scott Whatmore

I agree with Beecy and Cakey. The colours and fonts make it hard work to read.

Keep trying Jason, you'll get there.

keora

Reaction score
Jason, the problem with the site is the dull ochre coloured text set on a maroon background. There's not enough contrast between text and background to make the screen easy to read.

I've noticed that this combination of coloured text against a dark background is often used on internet sites. It might initially catch your eye, but once you start to read it, you realise how tiring it is.

I've noticed that often the Angling Times will print white text on a black background, and this is a pain to read.

As for the book reviews, I'd prefer to read more about the contents of the book, and less about the background of the author. And the books are mainly about carp, surely a few other species would add interest ?