trent gallery

R

rob offord

a fish of any size let alone a supposed 38lb carp should nener be lifted that high of the ground and i would guess there is no unhooking mat either

F

Frothey

if the scales say it was 38lb then it was......

the blokes a giant though!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I am afraid so say it but.......... I would like to know what scales were used?

I've been dying to say something for ages about this, but don't want to discourage anyone.

F

Frothey

maybe they missed the decimal point!

burn them, burn them!

ANGEL NICKO

Reaction score
OH AND ROB NEVER HAS A V IN IT MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEARN TO SPELL BEFORE HAVING A GO AT PEOPLE AND A HOOKING MAT WAS USED AND THE FISH WAS NOT LIFTED THAT HIGH AS I SAID MY DAD HAD TROUBLE LIFTING IT DUE TO ITS WEIGHT

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Jealousy doesn't come into it. What some very experienced carp anglers are saying is that a fish that I reckon is 28" to the fork of the tail is unlikely to weigh as much as 38lbs. That is simple weight calculation. Mistakes in weighing fish are common, and now that I've given my length estimate perhaps the carp experts will be better able to judge it. I worked on the spread of fingers being 4" which is slightly on the generous side.

What scales were used to weigh it?

Beecy

Reaction score
"MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEARN TO SPELL BEFORE HAVING A GO AT PEOPLE"

"JEALOUSY BOYS WILL GET YOU NO WERE"

Beecy

Reaction score
sorry Angela, could'nt resist

for what its worth, I dont give a stuff what your carp weighed or wether or not you have a mat. All I can say is thats a nice fish and if its from the trent then I imagine it gave you a fight to remember, well done.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Beecy. Would you have said the same if a bloke had made such an obviously false weight claim?

As I said in my previous post on this thread, I did'nt want to discourage anyone (male or female) from enjoying their new-found pleasure in fishing. Hence my reluctance to mention it.

But false claims are a particularly bad pet-hate of mine!

I don't mean any offence to Angela, but I cannot help but wonder, who's eyes she was trying to pull the wool over? Non-fishing friends is one thing, but seasoned anglers is another!

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I don't want to get involved into this argument....and I couldn't if I wanted too, as the biggest carp I ever had so far wasn't even a double, so I cannot make a judgement.

All I would like to say, well done a nice looking fish there....no matter what size!!!

F

Frothey

i'll put a pic up later - if i make your dads fingers the same size as mine, your fish fits inside a 21 that i had a while ago. it would've had to have been an incredibly wide fish to be that big! have a look thru the galleries, plenty fo 30's/40's in there and you'll see the difference.

dont worry about it, it happens a lot when people use avons (for example) and arent used to bigger fish - they all look massive. but to carry on trying to convince us it was 38......!

R

rob offord

OK,SO I MADE A TYPING ERROR AT LEAST I CAN WEIGH FISH CORRECTLY.ANY WAY I'M JUST TRYING TO POINT OUT IN THIS DAY AND AGE WE SHOULD BE MORE CAREFULL WHAT WE PUT ON PUBLIC DISPLAY.ANGLING NEEDS GOOD PRESS NOT BAD.

Beecy

Reaction score
Malc, yes I would.

I honestly do not give a flying wotsit over the weights of fish, I have never weighed fish (except for in matches) and realy do not see the point.

So what if a fish is 10lb,20lb or 30lb ?
its a big-un to me,thats it.

ANGELA NICHOLSON

Reaction score
JUST LIKE BEECY I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU ALL THINK. I NO WHAT IT WEIGHED AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS TO ME. TO ANSWER THE SCALES QUESTION THEY WERE R.T. ZENSO SCALES ELECTRONIC UP TO 50 POUND WEIGHT LIMIT.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Thats fair enough Beecy. I agree, it does'nt matter a jot what a fish weighs, its the undoubted pleasure one gets from catching a big un, thats important.

But to make the claim in the first place is equally pointless!

Angela, congratulations on catching the fish. I am genuinely pleased for you. Many of us on here have caught carp to 30, 40, 50 or even 60lbs, and believe me please that we know a 38lb carp when we see one!

I agree with Frothy, if it had a wide girth it would possibly just about make a 20.

Good luck for the future, and don't let all this put you off. But although you won't think so now, in the future you will look back on this and realise you have learned from it.