Fishery Overrun by Rats

Blunderer

Reaction score
I am fishing a small water this summer for a week. I have been informed froma few sources that the place is full of rats which have a great liking for angler's sandwiches and bait. I hate the buggers personally and it will ruin my week to have the little gits invading my bivvy every night.

Does anyone know if there is anything out there to repel them? Is there a chemical or a noise or something which they will avoid?

captain carrott

Reaction score
cat, they avoid both the smell and the sound of the common house cat.

bet it says on the ticket you can't take a jack russel terrier, cos these are equally as good a deterrent.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

a flame thrower ....

....with the added bonus you have freshly cooked meat !!

C

Cakey

Ive found a radio on the floor keeps them away ,hide all bait in a bucket and seal with a lid so they cant smell it !

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A dangerous place to fish if it is overrun with rats, not because they will bite you (though they might) but because of the danger and probability of Weil's disease caused through contact with their urine both on land but also in the water. They also carry multiple diseases that range from mild to fatal in humans, in short best given a wide berth.

Me, I would steer clear, there must be better places to fish mate.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Did you know that the only places in the world where there are no rats is the Arctic, the Antarctic and the province of Alberta in Canada where they take great precautions to avoid the presence of rats.

Rats have been resposible for more human deaths than all the wars in history.

Rats are not nice, not at all nice.

Trisantona

Reaction score
In London you are never more than six feet from a rat...not sure how they work that out ?.

P

paul williams 2

It's the humans who use the lake that need controling!!......the rats would soon go then!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

Pop into an Asda store and get yourself a bottle of Asda's own Dry Wash Anti-bacterial Hand Gel. A huge bottle only costs ?1.48, the small handy size is around 58p.

Before you eat food or after you've had your hands in the water, wash them with the hand gel. There's original and one with moisturisers for hands that catch fishes can feel soft as your face......

S

Scott Whatmore

Good shout Paul too!

Less food lying around means less rats, normally!

P

paul williams 2

Scott.....if ever i were lucky enough to own a top fishery i would take a litter "deposit" off all anglers using it.....i would inspect their swims at the end of their stay and if i found any crap they would lose it to pay for disposal.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Paul.
That is a brilliant idea. I'll put that forward myself. Or even an extra charge anyway to clear any rubbish.
also Top postings from Woody and E.C.

S

Stevie Robbo

Less food lying around means less rats, normally!

Totally agree if people took there half eaten sandwiches etc and disposed of them properly the rats would soon disappear as theres nothing worse than doing an all nighter knowing that rats are lurking near by...............

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I cannot stand rats.

A decent .22 air rifle with scope will sort them out at up to 30 yards range. Snakes will keep rats down very well. I've never killed a snake in my life. A snake is one of man's greatest allies.

But probably the best rat repellent is a pussy. A lovely fat cuddly pussy will make all the rats in an area pack their bags.

P

paul williams 2

RON!!!......it's to early for such a post!!

i like one myself to ! but jeez where do you find yours if they see rats off ;)

T

The Monk

Yes a good pussy is the answer , I never go fishing without one, although I have fished a number of rat infested waters in the past, I usually take Muff and Wendy along, no sane rat will go anywhere near them,