Barbel Fishing - A Guided Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Can the mods please explain as to why my post on this thread has been pulled. In no way did it contravine the sites rules or was liabelous in any way ?

I find the way Fred seems intent on pursuing a personal vendetta on this site totally distasteful, and as was mentioned by the Mods on another thread only last week best kept off here and confined to PMs or e mails.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I pulled the post because I saw no mention of any names from Fred in his article nor any mention or hint of a vendetta. There is nothing in that article that is offensive in any way.

I also pulled the post because in your 50 or so posts on this site, going back something like 3 years, 13 of your 50 posts have been a pop either directly or indirectly at Fred Bonney. So some could say it is you that has the vendetta!

We're not having it on here. That's it.

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Can I also ask, if you have any further comments with regards to moderation of this thread please pm me.

I would like to stress that further comments on this thread should be related to the article only and not related to any long standing 'handbags at dawn' barbel angler spat!

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

The mod's don't have the means to moderate articles. Contact the editorial team for that.

Simon K

Reaction score
The article doesn't really tell us much more than Steve already wrote in his piece, which is a pity.

Personally, I'd prefer not to have someone hanging over my shoulder all day long once they'd given their advice, as long as they're available to field questions and "tweak" anything needing "tweaking" to improve the chances of catching on the day, but hey, Fred and Steve are good mates so the company was mutually agreeable.

If the barbel are so "tricky" they need to be fished for with hair-rigged castors, I'd be fishing for something else but........................

At least Fred caught, which is what it's all about. :)

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
Everything else is hair rigged these days so don't see a problem with casters...... I hair rig maggots!! I expect that's wrong to. :)

Simon K

Reaction score
It's not wrong Rich, just unnecessary for barbel in my opinion. I catch plenty on maggot when the going's "tough" and I never hair-rig them. Single maggot on a strong hook and a sliver of worm up the shank to camouflage the hook and make the hook-bait stand out.

It was an observation, not a criticism. :)

Bluenose

Reaction score
I've got a Fred Crouch book somewhere. Maybe someone can help but I'm sure in it he states that he didn't care too much for the hair rig (for barbel) (or anything else I think).

I use the hair rig for some species, so am not pointing the finger btw. It's hard side hooking boilies, and I don't like pellet bands.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Bluenose,

Another one time BS luminary said, he did not think Boilies would catch on for Barbel ?

:)

Bob

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Fred Crouch is one of my favourite people and you are quite right!

However even he has been impressed at how hair rigging casters in particular really can be devastatingly effective at times.

Should be seeing Fred next week so will get an update.

On a lighter note I was chatting to him today and he's off to see Jethro tomorrow so I'm sure there will be lots of laughs next Thursday on the Kennet!

Bluenose

Reaction score
Understanding Barbel. Probably the best single species fishing book I've read that. It says Barbel on the cover but the principles could probably be applied to most species.

You can tell him I said that, am sure he'll be made up, especially so when you explain I'm some crank off the internet with a history of mental illness, stalking and murder.

Go on, just for a laugh!

Simon K

Reaction score
Interesting signature Eddie. Have you copyrighted it? :cool::)

Personally I wouldn't hear a word against them. :wh

Steve Pope

Reaction score
I'll definitely pass on your message Eddie and get a response from Fred.

I consider myself to be very fortunate to have Fred as a trusted friend, our friendship transcends fishing and it's fair to say I've learnt more from him than anyone in the fishing world.

I agree with you about the book although Fred would be he first to admit he didn't forsee the pellet/boilie revolution but be still has his views on the state of our rivers and the barbel fishing of today.

I'm sure his latest article in the next Barbel Fisher magazine will get people talking.

As Simon says......................an interesting signature!

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just received Fred's new article, it is certainly controversial and well reasoned and will certainly open up some interesting discussion.

With Fred's permission and after it's read by the BS membership in Decemeber, I'll make it public.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
My Most Memorable Day

by Fred Bonney

My memorable session was a prize, won on this site for a day with Graham Elliott of Angling Experiences.
We met up the night before and Graham wanted to show me the River Loddon, so I left my gear at the hotel and got in his motor.
The swim Graham wanted to show me in particular, was already occupied, so we dropped back downstream.
Graham showed me how he sets up his tackle and explained his method of fishing. He handed me his rod and I followed his advice, although he said I could fish any way I liked.
After no more than an hour, the big tug came. I held on for dear life as the fish, began its journey to the bulrushes.
After a short skirmish with the fish breaking the surface a couple of times, it was safely in the net, Graham, purposely I am sure, underestimated the weight.
The scales zeroed, fish in the weigh sling, and the reading was 10lb 17ozs. The photos were taken, I was chuffed and my heart was pounding.
A personal best for me and my first double Barbel.
We sat for another hour fishing and then we decided to go to the pub to celebrate.
One hour with the master, a double, and still the proper prize day on the Kennet to come.

Fred Bonney

Certainly a day with Steve Pope could be recommended. In fact as this is my last season guiding, I will be forwarding all my enquiries onto him. I know he will look after them well and it will be a good experience.

Graham

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just to clarify as the title given in the post above is not an article title produced by me but a thread post elsewhere.

So, this is the article written 7 years ago by me as a novice barbel angler.
With the benefit of experience, and as I was not gifted with foresight at the time of writing it, I wrote the recent piece, the subject of this thread, as an update.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/diaries/12610-my-angling-experience.html

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that Fred. A "Red Letter Day" remains one whatever twists and turns your subsequent life brings. Let it stay that way in your memory for what it really was. Don't try and change it to something it wasn't, you'll only cheapen it for yourself.

I have some wonderful fishing memories of time spent with my best mate (at the time) from many years ago. We fell out (and have barely spoken since), but I haven't allowed that to cloud the enjoyment I had nor the great memories. :)

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nothing will change about my thoughts of the actual day Simon.

As they say, we never stop learning and I've certainly learned a lot, particularly about first impressions since that original experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.