Fishing in Cambridge

Blue Sky

Reaction score
I am relocating to Cambridge and wonder where to strart looking for places to fish. oh and live!! Probably west of Camb (Barton, Toft) or north.

All advice gratefully received!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Cambridgshire. Yes where do you start?

There is so much good fishing in the area. The fens are stuffed with fish.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
How much do you want to spend on a house?
Barton and Toft are nice areas but expensive. Come to think of it everywhere is expensive down here!
Place near to me is going for ?275,000 4 bed detached with a garage and a bit of a garden. It's only been on the market for a few days and people are queuing up to view it! Mind you it's in good nick

What sort of fishing??
Take your pick it's all around and about.

Colin

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
For fishing in the cambridge area,try these two shops....
The carp cabin,london rd ind est,pampisford.This shop is located inside the country store there and is a veritable aladins cave.I used to pop in and buy something,everytime i was in the area.The old boy incharge is ever so friendly and certainly knows his onions.
The other shop to try is is farringtons,fery lane,chesterton,cambridge.I dont know a great deal about this place,having only visited it once,when i was delivering packages to it.It`s well stocked and the owner and son seemed friendly enough.
Also,there is a chap who does guiding on the waterways that run through the heart of cambridge.Unfortunately i havent got his details but one of the chaps on this site might know who i`m talking about or one of the tackle shops i have mentioned might know of him.

Lark

Reaction score
There is pretty good river fishing up around Huntingdon and St. Ives and I think the house prices are reasonable in comparison to areas closer to Cambridge.
There are some big clubs with waters in this area - do a Google and check them out.

Y

yoggy

Do you have to live in the direct Cambridge area itself??. Further North you have the Cambridgeshire Fens. House prices here are far more cheaper,and in my opinion the fishing is better!!!.Road links into Cambridge are also very good.I live in the Cambs Fens about 30 miles from Cambridge but it only takes about 35 mins by car to get there.In the Fens you have countless drains and Rivers...take your pick.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Hey Yoggy,
You must know a better way in than me?
Getting into Cambridge is a nightmare especially between 0745 and 0930. I'm just pleased to have retired so I don't have to travel in any more.

The Cam in the city centre is stuffed full of fish, I think the biggest Carp is 32lb plus loads of smaller ones. Chub over 7lb as well plus stacks of Roach etc. Not always easily accessible as the colleges back onto the river. Still plenty to have a go at though.

Colin

Y

yoggy

Hello Col.
I must admit I`ve never tried getting into Cambridge that time of morning. So I take your point.I usually take the back roads from where I live and can easily get there in under 45 minutes in the works lorry.

We posties know all the short cuts mate!!!!!! ;-)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And don't I know.

Old Yoggy has taken me down a few routes in Cambridgshire that I didn't even know existed.

Blue Sky

Reaction score
thanks guys. I need to live within cycling distance of the centre. So expensive. ?200k in Sussex gets me a nice terraced house, in Camb I will need a miracle!

Now onto the important stuff! What clubs would you recommend? I like carp but like to stalk 'em. And fly fishing. Heard a rumour that there were trout in the Cam near a weir somewhere ha ha.

Y

yoggy

Ron,Now let me see...

"muddy duck drove"
"Black Shuck drove"
"Turf drove"
"Pikers Bend Drove"
"Blackbush Drove"
"Three pigs Drove"
"Burnt-house Road"

To name a few short cuts I know!!!! ;-)