Record Bream Found Dead

stagflaps

Reaction score
The fish caught at a record weight of over 20lb earlier this year has been found dead.

Where will the next 20lb plus specimen come from now, if anywhere.

Record Bream Dead

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hmm. If the fish had been a carp or a barbel, we'd have been seeing a good few "R.I.P."s (accompanied by huge amounts of hand-wringing and finger-pointing, not to mention a few crocodile tears) by now, all of which would have said rather more about some of US than some portly fish...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Unfortunately that’s the thing about record fish, most are on their last legs or there about when caught. Take carp, since the days of Bob Richards record fish in ’51 not one record fish has survived the capture of the next record fish.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
Hmm. If the fish had been a carp or a barbel, we'd have been seeing a good few "R.I.P."s (accompanied by huge amounts of hand-wringing and finger-pointing, not to mention a few crocodile tears) by now, all of which would have said rather more about some of US than some portly fish...

Not from me you wouldn't, but then I suspect that from another place you may just know that already.;)
I don't get the whole RIP for a fish thing, even for a damned big fish.

dezza

Reaction score
I can never understand why some anglers start hand wringing, wretching and sobbing when they find a dead big fish.

Surely they must realise that fish are mortal beings and will die of natural causes one day.

And those who bury the fish in a casket with a gravestone are truly sick!

Would you do the same for that bit of cod you had with your chips and mushy?

cg74

Reaction score
The fish caught at a record weight of over 20lb earlier this year has been found dead.

Record Bream Dead

A simple fact of life; fish die!

Besides Mark Mckenna's Ferry Lagoon bream was considerably bigger......

Alan, try Banes lake and Farmoor res (both Oxfordshire), oh and good luck in getting permission to coarse fish them, you might have try a leaded nymph for the snotties.;)

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

On Grafham Water in Cambridgeshire, there are shoals of huge bream.

On days out on the boat when the water is gin clear, seeing the size of some of them is just frightening.

A couple of years back in a trout match, I picked up one in its mid teens near the Dam on a Diawl Bach of all things, it just went solid and took me near 20 mins to get it up on a 10ft #7 weight, the stench of it was with me in the boat for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately though, you can't Coarse fish Grafham, only fluking them on the fly.

The Pirate.

dezza

Reaction score
I've caught a fair number of bream on the fly, no doubles of course but I have reached the conclusion that fly fishing could be the way to catch monsters from the trout reservoirs.

It certainly seems that a midge pupa (buzzer) or midge larva (bloodworm) fished deep after finding the bream, should produce. A strike indicator of some kind on the leader should help detect delicate bites.

The name of the game is to find the bream.

Peter Stone by the way did a bit of pioneering work with the fly on the Farmoor bream on the 80s. He used to fish deep with buzzers and indicators.

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A record Bream may already have come up on the fly at Grafham Ron, many Trout men wouldn't normally give it any consideration, all they want is for them to be off their line, they don't even wanna land them, sliming and stinking up their nets, the stench of them is awful, especially on a warm day.

The problem with targeting them on the fly is they move around so much, they shoal up in an area for a wee while then move off.

Earlier this season, I was on a drift from N to I bouy and a massive shoal passed a few feet in front of the boat, all heading and tailing like Dolphins, some of them were just enormous, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, one minute they were there, next they just vanished.

The Pirate.