River Dearne canoeing agreement

bendsomecane

Reaction score
Hello all , I know its been a while since I posted but I thought Id keep you all updated as to the agreement on canoeing on the Dearne.
The agreement reached so far is below.

Despite the canoeists wanting 365 days a year access anglers are fighting hard to keep the canoeists off the river during the close season. The fragile eco-system in the Dearne means that the barbel are not breeding in any numbers. In fact I havent seen any small barbel at all. I am trying to keep them away from adwick wier during the close season but they are adamant thats where they want to be.

have a look below

From 1 July to 14 April canoeing may take place from 0900 hrs till 2000hrs and later so long as canoeists are downstream of Harlington by 20:00hrs.
During this period canoeing may not take place at the relevant location when the water level shown on the Environment Agency website is below:
a) 0.11m at Houghton
b) 0.33m at Darfield
c) 0.35m at Bolton
d) 0.21m at Adwick

Between 15 April and 30 June canoeing may take place on the River Dearne:
a) From Pastures Road Bridge to the confluence with the Don only.

During this period the group will gather fish population, bed depth and habitat information at Adwick Weir and the stretch of water by Manvers Boat Club to improve their knowledge of Barbel spawning grounds. The evidence will be used to assess whether other limited stretches of the river could be used for canoeing without impacting on the ecology. Until the evidence has been precautionary approach has been agreed to ensure protection of spawning grounds during this sensitive period.

What are your thoughts.

Bendsomecane