ARMCHAIR BAILIFFS

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Using the (Pike Murder) thread as an example. How would you tackle this situation or something similar?
You could be a club bailiff or just an ordinary member. So from a bailiffs point of view, how would you go about it?

Assuming that you had prior warning that certain people may or may not be killing Pike, would you go mob handed so to speak? Would you park your cars well out of sight of the suspected offenders and do a long walk, and what would your actual approach to the anglers be?

Would your approach be friendly ( hi mate owt doing) or would you keep it all official? Would you get into conversation with the suspected offenders and to what extent?

Would you let them know what you were trying to find out? and would you simply not mention anything about what you were there for and let them do the talking?

Would there be a point where you said you were looking for somebody who had been reported for killing Pike?

How would you handle this situation from start to finish? How would you go about it?

So there we have it. Here is the chance for any armchair Bailiffs to have a go at solving a problem. Don't be afraid, I won't bite.

Lark

Reaction score
Interesting one Baz.
Is the main object to prevent further killing or to catch and posecute those for previous killings?
I would imagine the former would be the easier to impliment by use of presence of bodies - not necessarily mob handed. Indicate to the suspected parties that you are aware that this activity is going on, without actually accusing them. You may be able to check for venue permits or EA permits to ascertain their identities. After that, try to keep up a regular presence with the same routine until they move off. This probably won't stop them moving to another venue and doing it all over again.
Alternatively, a gathering of like-minded 'friends', balaclavas and heavy wooden sporting goods springs to mind.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
It would depend on what was actually happening Baz ie what was going on fish thefts are a bit different to a young lad without a permit, Id never reccomend any baliffs approach a gang on their own better and more effective if done with a few fellow members ask for permits but Id return with the members for the nitty gritty.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Baz before anyone comments they need to know the rules of this club that they are going to up keep.

Please give a detailed list of all the club rules and I will supply an answer.

Tally Ho

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

<u>RULES</u>

No Pike to be killed or taken without the owners permission.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Was It a seal?
Some would say get you're guns lads :0)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I am trying to leave it to you proffessionals.
That is all I had to go by. I found it easy enough to understand. No fish to be taken from club waters.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Lark.
I'd give Lark 9 out of 10.
The excercise would be to both prevent further killing, and/or prosecute those responsible if possible.
I would still go mob handed.

Gav.
Would be sent for further training on how to read the advance report properly. And go mob handed in the first place. 4 out of 10.

Lord Paul.
Not suitable as he faffed about too much with the information he had been given instead of getting on with the job in hand.

Woody.
Not suitable as he wastes too much time setting booby traps for his fellow Bailiffs.

Phil.
Not suitable as he is not capable of making a decision for himself, and follows Woodys example.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Baz first it was no pike to be taken or killed then it was no fish - if you keep changing the rules how can i give an answer

Tally Ho

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Will there be a nice certificate at the end of all this. I think you might be wrong on this matter mr Barry to know what you are facing by sending in a solitary advance party posing as mr nice baliff may prove invaluable you dont want to go in undergunned for the showdown .

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Aheerrm.
Lord Paul. I think that you will find that a Pike is indeed a fish. No removal of fish includes Pike.

Sorry Gav. It is folly to send one man on his own for whatever reason.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
What's Pike got to do with it? Just because he told the German Officer his name is no reason to have a go.

W

Wolfman Woody

When you go in "mob-handed" will you be tooled up as well, carrying heat?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
What the bloody ells heat Woody is this olde world slang for a bat or stanley?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Ah well, if you want a job doing, do it yourself as usual.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Barry chappie dont get all down on us now .I must agree by the way that it is folly to send baliffs on their own in this day and age you just never know what you could stumble on and its a jungle out there as you well know I reckon.

Morespiders

Reaction score
You and Phill go Baz, and kill them with your handbags, dont use your pink ones though.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
#right Baz given the limited info here's what I would do

Nip to the local tackle shop and buy a nice blue coat with a match teams name in gold on the breast ? get 12 mates dressed in greens to hide in the bush and approach the suspected pike killers.
Take your time and watch for 10 minutes then approach, ask how they are doing and then say ?Have you been troubled by pike, there?s a few round here if I had me way they?d end up in the bushes?. Then mention you?re the bailiff and ask to see EA and club licences. If they could not produce either or both then ask them to leave the water, if any trouble starts get your mates to video it for use in court then your mates kick the sh1t out of them making sure the video is off. If the anglers produce both licences and agree that pike should be killed walk away and get your mates to give you a thump or two and call the police, have the chaps locked up and get your mates to say it was the anglers who hit you.
If the anglers show no signs of being trouble causers and have both EA and club licences then get your mates to give them a light kicking in case they break club rules in future just so they know where they stand.

Hope this meets with your approval Baz
Tally Ho