shakespear omni x braid. flea bay

luremanmike

Reaction score
just a heads up to anyone thinking of buying shakespear omni x braid listed on ebay, got some the other day and the diameter is WAY off. It seems they may be fake... Bewary of the sellers offering the above briad in all sizes on the same listing, i ordered some 50lb which was ment to be 0.25 which it says on the spool (i know seems thin, thats why i went for it instead of 30lb) but is thicker than 15lb mono... Its more like 0.45.

greeny1321

Reaction score
Omni x is shakespeares budget range mate, I have a feeder rod and reel and they are pretty dire!

Why would you only use 30lb braid for lure fishing??? Are you using a light rod and fixed spool reel? I only ask as when I first started on the lures I was using 44lb braid and it wasn't too long before I'd lost more than my fair share of lures to snags so I now use 80lb braid which 9 times out of 10 bends the hook rather than snapping and leaving £15 of lure in the water

luremanmike

Reaction score
i use 30lb braid for all my lure fishing.... 9ft diawa spin rod 7-40g casting weight and small diawa fixed spool. places you fish must be way more snaggy than me because i had no problems pulling out of snags using 15lb mono never-mind braid. since last year i have only lost 1 lure to snags and i have been luring alot... the reason i use the above for all my lure work is i no longer bait fish at all and dont really go for a specific species, using this set up i can have fun catching pike, perch, chub ect all on the same gear. quick change of lure size and im ready, it has no problems flicking out tiny lures (less than 7g) and none in casting out the smaller of the pike lure sizes (up to 40g i dont go over...).
so in short yes mate, im using a light rod and reel set up.

Last edited:

greeny1321

Reaction score
Yeah mate I fish some snaggy places! One water in particular is a gravel pit and the bottom is rocky as hell in places There are two of my lures stuck under rocks and I can see them still to this day lol just cant get to them. I would also be using lighter braid on a light setup like that though.

bigsean

Reaction score
Is 30lb braid a bit on the light side then greeny? Cos I've just ordered some ... My rod has a 50 gram limit and my heaviest lure is 44grams, with my lightest being 16grams ... It's berkeley braid I ordered from Harrissports.

greeny1321

Reaction score
It's fine for a light setup Sean, I wouldn't use les than 50lb for jerk outfit though, I use 80lb.

bigsean

Reaction score
cant decide whether to get a heavier jerk set up or a baitfishing set up (rods, alarms etc) as the wife said she'd get me some fishing gear for xmas

greeny1321

Reaction score
Some pretty awesome deals on savage gear jerkbait rods at harris mate get on it!!!!

bigsean

Reaction score
yeh i've seen them greeny, the savage gear stuff does look the business ... my thinking was more, as money is tight i cant really afford both set ups, so whether to get a heavier lure set up or a baitfishing set up ..... those jerk n lure rods by savage come in models for using fixed spool reels or baitcasters ... on a jerk or heavy lure set up which reel type is best?

greeny1321

Reaction score
A baitcasting multiplier! And the savage gear rods are the mutts nuts mate I have the woody light and its good for lures to about 4oz I use it with an abu multiplier.

bigsean

Reaction score
i saw an abu ambassador reel the other day 70 or 80 quid, quite small n slimline .... never used one so a couple of daft questions ..... i always thought of them as proper distance casters, are they good for short distance work such as canal and small stillwaters?
and do u just take big lures when ur using ur jerk set up or can u still use smaller lures if u find ur on a water thats full of little jacks?
i know a lot of people take 2 or 3 set ups when they go out on a boat, but u wouldnt wanna be doing that on foot!!

greeny1321

Reaction score
If a lure is much less than about 3/4 of an ounce it is hard work trying to cast them with an 100g rod mate, for me anyway.

My abu is an ambassador, 6000 size, but it has a shallow spool as it is one they make for the US market where they love lures! I only have about 100 yards or less of braid on it at any given time and with a decent casting lure I can spool myself on the cast without much bother! There are situations where a fixed spool reel is easier like in bad wind, casting into the wind with a muliplier can be hard graft mate depending on the lure. Multipliers also spray water at you when you cast, which is pleasant when the water temp is 1 degree!

Don't worry about jacks and big lures either mate, pike are ambitious to say the least when it comes to what they'll attack. I have had a pike no longer than 12" hit a 10" lure and I even once had a tiny jack of about 5 or 6" try to attack a spinnerbait that was bigger than it!

bigsean

Reaction score
cheers mate, i'll have a serious look at that sort of set up, nowt gonna happen before xmas anyway .... out on the local canal in the morning, got a couple of new shads to try out :)