when is it too cold??

luremanmike

Reaction score
hi, is it every too cold to fish with lures??. I hardly bait fish anymore and am often seen chucking lures about and getting odd looks from fellow anglers who cant help but approach me and tell me its too cold for lure fishing.... So is there such a thing???

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ray's right, when the water's stiff it's a no-go. But at any other time it's always worth a chuck or two. And why should other anglers give you odd looks, when they're sat there trying. :)

greeny1321

Reaction score
I had some right funny looks of some deadbait anglers as soon as the ice melted in january, I had funnier looks when I caught a few whilst they blanked :D It can be tough fishing though, and brutal with the weather and there were days when the deadbait lads caught and I just walked around freezing my nuts off chucking bits of wood in the water :eek:mg: but a fish on the bank soon makes you forget about that!

luremanmike

Reaction score
thanks for the replys guys... it actually happened yesterday (the odd looks) when i went up the canal, didn't help that i banked but it shot my confidence a bit. I did catch my fair share of fresh water jelly fish all sporting Warbatons on the side.... and a ruck sack filled with water which was easy a high double.lol

greeny1321

Reaction score
Funny things pike mate, one day they'll not touch a deadbait but will go for a lure then next day it could be the exact opposite, thats half the fun of it for me!

luremanmike

Reaction score
aye you can say that again greeny, it was a new stretch i haven't fished before so it could of been the pike being picky or maybe they weren't even there... Think i'll be sticking to the river glaze and local flashes from now on.

luremanmike

Reaction score
yeah i am mate, i live near firs park lake... i never fish there tho. rather go on fir tree flash.

luremanmike

Reaction score
:thumbs: thanks mate, you dont happen to work in leigh tackle and bait do you??. You might see me up there... im easy to spot, i believe i am the ONLY brown fisherman in Leigh. lol :eek:

luremanmike

Reaction score
^^ yes but that looks to be some Eastern European country... im shure i read somewhere that our UK pike don't have the metabolism as EE pike.

bigsean

Reaction score
Another local-ish lad eh, I can see a coming together of lures 1 of these fine days .... And its too cold to fish when u can't feel ur fingers anymore, and sod the funny looks and smart comments mike :)

luremanmike

Reaction score
Southern Norway isn't exactly east europe...

ok fair play... but the what i said still applies. Isnt it always bloody cold in Norway??

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Another local-ish lad eh, I can see a coming together of lures 1 of these fine days .... And its too cold to fish when u can't feel ur fingers anymore, and sod the funny looks and smart comments mike :)

Crazy.. hears me thinking that me and mate are the only nutters round here trying to catch fish on bits of wood. Turns out were not special after all....lol :(

bigsean

Reaction score
Well I'm not exactly on ur doorstep mike, I'm in Manchester, but that ain't too far away, supposed to be some good pike waters up ur way eh .... And greeny ain't far from u either :)

luremanmike

Reaction score
yeah theres some alright pike waters round here, not had much luck in the canal (yet :) ) but the flashes have been good to me. Fir tree flash has some nice pike, but the sign states no lure fishing... I have used lures there tho, now before anybody has a go i asked the bailiff if i could. To which he said i could lure fish there no issue as long i was careful of dog walkers and other anglers when casting, the only time when lure fishing is defiantly not allowed is when the water is busy i.e lots of other anglers.

greeny1321

Reaction score
:thumbs: thanks mate, you dont happen to work in leigh tackle and bait do you??. You might see me up there... im easy to spot, i believe i am the ONLY brown fisherman in Leigh. lol :eek:

No mate, I used to work at north west angling centre. I haven't seen any brown fishermen in Leigh lol I get up that way maybe once every 2 months or so it's a 2 hour walk down the canal from wigan so I don't do it too often. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and caught 4 out of the canal, nothing big but I have seen some nice fish up that way, earlier this year I had a high double figure fish go at my lure but I didn't hook up. I think thats what makes me take the long walk now and again.

keora

Reaction score
When the water temperature falls below 4 degrees C, fish are less active. Species which are more resistant to low temperatures include pike, chub, perch and grayling.

You can still catch pike on lures when the water temperature is at 2 or 3 degrees, except that you may not get many takes, and blanks are more likely.