Wintle?s World ? Memorable Matches Part 4

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
We were "rail-roaded" into hosting The National! We announced our presence when we won the event at our first attempt on the mighty Trent around Burton Joyce and Gunthorpe and probably in a drunken stupor offered to sort out a venue for the future. 36 districts fielding teams of 6 and very, very few volunteers stepping forward. Match Secretaries everywhere will have sympathy with that situation.

Anyway, we'd fit them all in somewhere between Christchurch Harbour and Blandford! To be fair, the Christchurch and Ringwood clubs (and Throop) were very keen to help and being mid October we should have been OK.

But no rain, low water and lots of weed meant it just wasn't possible. We walked the stretches on an almost daily basis for weeks and weeks but eventually switched to 3 pits around Ringwood.

I had 2 Roach for my 2oz but should have won! A worm in the margin saw the tip go round and me connect to a Carp of about 15lb. We parted company about 10 mins later!

Where did you get that Result Paper? That's my scribble (before computers!). But what a resounding victory and some damn good anglers in that team as well.

Such good memories!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Where did you get that Result Paper?"

Come on Neil, you know that Mark never throws away anything on paper that is remotely connected with fishing ;-)

But how accurate was Mark commenting on the fact that your first visit to a match venue invariably throws up your best result.

I know from my own experience that is so often the case. I often wonder if we think 'past' the actual conditions based on desire instead of common angling good sense?

Another great article from the Wintle 'pen'

Nippi

Reaction score
A good and comprehensive result considering your best angler, a young upstart often referred to as 'Gloria or Shirley' because of his flowing highlighted hair was absent!! Being that upstart I was absolutely devasted that at the last minute I was denied 'special leave' due to a busy workload.

I will never forget the mixed emmotions I had that day. Ecstatic for the team for a truely awesome win against the countries finest and yet heart broken not to have been part of it.

As you say Neil, fantastic memories, top anglers and great camoraderie. Oh happy days!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Wayne, good to hear from you!

I seem to remember you "came, saw and conquered" on The Forty Foot(?) one year. Blitzed everybody with Tench as I recall.

There were several fine anglers and characters missing from that "Home Win". Nigel L., Dave H., Bill B. and Gerry R. We could have almost fielded two teams and given ourselves some competion.

I still find it amazing at how active that "works association" was. 200+ active members across the whole country regularly fishing all sorts of matches and general get togethers. Some very fine anglers amongst them as well.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Peter, hope you are recovering well. Claudia put your rod to good use yesterday!

I think Mark is pretty accurate about first time visits. The open frame of mind is a very good weapon in the match anglers armoury.

However, when I was regularly match fishing, it was not so easy to get information about a new venue, no internet then! I did "hijack" a lot of my uncles network of contacts and locally based tackle shops but there was a lot of "work it out for yourself".

I recall a few matches on "unknown" venues that we did well on. But also quite a few where we failed miserably!

Sometimes too much info can be a handicap. The particular match Mark commented on was an internal Barclays AA event but, as an Association, we entered the NFA Nationals. One year we somehow enlisted the help of Howard Humprey of the Leicester Likely Lads to guide us on The Witham (or Welland). I was supposedly team captain and worth a place in the team but he confused the hell out me! It became very clear to me, he (they) were a totally different class to what I was used to!

Good days though, great fun and an education.

Nippi

Reaction score
Hello Neil. Nice to see you have still got the bug!

One memory of first time visits I well remember is when myself and Mark spent a week on the River Nene practising for the Div 4 National.

On the first day we fished on a stretch known as Milton Down? with a few of the local 'experts' from the Peterborough team. The stretch, as I recall, was slow and deep (about 14') and the in method was wag and mag across for chublets, dace etc. and a pole line for perch and skimmers on the inside margin.

Well, Mark, being Mark, fancied the crowquill avon smack down the middle with a groundbait approach. The locals had never seen anything like it! Here was a country bumkin fishing the crudest method possible for fish that were super shy; they were literally wetting themselves laughing! Mark went on to stuff the lot of them with a nice bag of roach and skimmers.

That night in the local tackle shop (Ken Wade' I recall) his entire supply of 'toppers' that had gathered dust over the years completely sold out!

Just goes to show that no matter how much you know there is still plenty to learn.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Enough of the country! We were on the edge of Fenland where they've all got webbed feet, which made me the sophisticated townie. I think the venue was Stibbington?

I don't think that was the only lesson Kevin Taylor (our team captain) learnt on his local river that week.

The next article is about the Nationals...

Nippi

Reaction score
Pmsl, webbed feet! Yes you're right Mark it was Stibbington. A good week which as you say, I think we taught the locals as much as they taught us. Seem to remember giving you a snake charming lesson on the Northbank too; one of the very few occasions over the years that I actually got the better of you!

Without wishing to embarrass you but you probably had the biggest influence on my match fishing than anyone. Definately one of the best anglers I have ever had the pleasure to fish with. Good memories indeed.

gareth young

Reaction score
Is that Wayne Nippard? you still owe me a drennan bait box and lid that i lent you at gold valley circa 1995. so this is the barclays AA thread. anyone else on here?

i am pretty much a speci hunter now.

Nippi

Reaction score
Hello Gus, how are you m8? Nice to see you're still fishing.

I've not match fished for several years and am now a......wait for it......carp angler!!

Neil, what about a reunion? Sounds like a good idea. At the very least I could give Gus his bait box back!

gareth young

Reaction score
Doing well wayne. work for GE the greatest goddam company in the world.live in bristol.

I would be up for a day out somewhere. if there is somewhere down there i can bivvy up i can save on accomodation. maybe broadlands or revels?

would be good to get nig lawson, and maybe even one or two from the nationals if poss.

which waters do you fish now?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm up for it. Gold Valley (my local) could be good anytime of the year. Night fishing available (therefore bivvies) on Gold Lake and some decent carp to interest you specimen guys. Even I've had them out to 20lb+ and the lake record stands at just over 30lb! Plenty of doubles to keep you from nodding off.

I swapped a few emails with Nigel sometime ago on FM and he has also contributed articles in the past. Not had any contact with him for a while though.

I suppose there's a quite good chance of ex Barclays AA guys being amongst the 30,000+ members of this site??

Nippi

Reaction score
Come on then Neil, sort something out as ex team manager! I'm up for it; it would be good to catch up on old times.

I'm happy with a day trip as I do still possess a float and feeder rod (somewhere) and I could also scav a lift off of Mark lol!

Nigel Lawson

Reaction score
Hello boys. Nice to see you are all doing well...and Gus have you tied any peg markers on the end of anyone's line recently?? Do you remember that match? I can't believe that Gloria is back on Carp fishing - you got a strong elastic band there matey - hope you and the family are all well. A reunion sounds pretty good - we might have to dust the cobwebs off H though. He was looking a lot better when I saw him at Christmas, so I think it would do him good. Whatever happened to RAMBO. He never was the same when we took the p**s out of his RDAA top at that Little Chef. and what about Pecos - is he still up on the Ellingham estate?

Richard Chave

Reaction score
Am I allowed in this conversation, although I do bank at LLoyds!! Good to read your articles Mark. How about a few with Team Castle in them. Hi Nigel are you still fishing?? I know wayne is if you call sleeping on a bed chair fishing?

Nippi

Reaction score
Richardo me ol' m8, how you doin? How's parenthood treating you? Now the great memories are really flooding back. First the Barclays scene and now Team Castle. They really were THE BEST days of my fishing life. I still fondly look back on those days and all the brilliant times we had. Wonder how Liam, Pikey, Butch, Mick, Brucey and co. are doing now? They really were a top bunch of lads and a pleasure to fish with; I wouldn't of missed it for the world!