new to this

ian_l

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm relatively new to predator fishing and i love it. Ever since I got my first perch on a spinner, followed closely by a lovely pike I have been hooked. The thrill of the fish taking the sinner is amazing. I have a relatively light set up and mainly use spinners of about 10-15g but would like to get some shads.
Ok so my question is what size shads would you guys recommend to attract some relatively decent sized pike without compromising the smaller perch. Or should I just forget about the smaller ones and target the slightly bigger ones?

Thanks Ian.

luremanmike

Reaction score
I would try some Flying c's and some curly tail shads no bigger than 4 inch, you would be surprised at what perch can get in its mouth mate or what they will try and eat....

ian_l

Reaction score
Thanks most helpful. I'll be getting some very soon me thinks.

Thanks ian.

mscustomlures

Reaction score
Try this link from earlier this month:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/predator-fishing/247363-jig-heads-bodies.html

Flying Cs are a good lure, although often I've bought them and they don't work properly - the blade seems to cling to the long body and doesn't rotate freely aroung the axis of the lure.

A little tip on spinners, if you find they don't spin properly bend the bottom of the blade outwards with pliers and the water displacement normally gets them spinning

bigsean

Reaction score
good tip, i have a double blade spinner that barely spins .... dont use it very often, except on 1 water that is full of tiny jacks, but still good advice mate :)

keora

Reaction score
The Friendly Fisherman in Kent sells by email packs combining soft plastic shads and suitably sized jig heads:

LURE PACKS & KITS

I've recently bought a Berkeley Powerbait pack of shads for vertical jigging, its shown about half way down the list of items - 5 shad bodies up to about 100mm length and 2 jig heads up to about 20gm. I used one of them (small lime shad and a 17gm jig head) fishing from the bank on a river, and had an 8oz perch and a 4lb pike.

I also bought a set of larger shads for pike fishing. The body shapes are good, the hooks seem rather oversized:

http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/section17083/pike-and-predator-tackle/lures/soft-plastics.html

Last edited:

ian_l

Reaction score
How long was the 8oz perch cause I've caught a fair few perch but never bothered weighing any and would like to have an idea or size/weight

ian_l

Reaction score
While out at work i stumbled upon a fishing shop in hoddesdon went in to have a look as you do and came out with a pack of the savage gear 4 play soft lures, 9.5cm. Already got some of the jig heads. Just wondering anyone ever used them? And what did they think. Hopefully going to give them a go this weekend.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
spinner fishing is the road to ruin (financialy) - you will (well I have) spent ££££££££££££££££ on lure that often never see water from one year to the next - buy a few at first and then stick to what you ahve faith in

ian_l

Reaction score
Lol yeah I can see how that would happen. Especially when you find something that looks o so pretty you just have to have it. Once I find out what works well hopefully I'll be able to stop buying. but I bet there is plenty of people on here that have said that. Anyhoo if I can't stop myself I bet the misses will soon put a stop to the spending.

greeny1321

Reaction score
It's easy to go out and buy a couple of hundred quids worth of lures that sit in a box doing nothing, I think we all have our share of expensive lures that never get wet. Unfortunately there is no "wonder lure" that will always catch and trying to find one is an exercise in futility and skintness :)

I have a few lures that I have great faith in but even they let me down from time to time. If you have the rod to work them savage gear deviators are good fish catchers, as are 4plays. For lighter setups smaller spinnerbaits should work.

9 times out of 10 the first lure I throw on any given day is a spinnerbait and with good reason! I have caught more pike on spinnerbaits than any other lure.

bigsean

Reaction score
i would much rather use a spoon than a spinner now .... although i dont use them very often, for pike that is, the small 4play lures are good on jigheads, IF u know where the perch are .... which in my limited experience is easier said than done
i agree with greeny on spinnerbaits tho, 1st lure i go to for pike

ian_l

Reaction score
I mainly go for perch at the moment and have found a few spots where there always seem to be quite a few hanging around (not to say I wouldn't appreciate a few pike) but they seem to have become wise to my spinners so i thought I would try something new. Worst case they go back in the box to be used another day.

keora

Reaction score
How long was the 8oz perch cause I've caught a fair few perch but never bothered weighing any and would like to have an idea or size/weight

Probably about 10 inches long.