The Alternative Angler ? After I?ve Gone

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Kevin raises a good point. If you have no family interested in fishing, what would you like to happen to all your worldly angling goods when you leave this earth?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Ebay may be the best way to get a fair price; whether that goes to a charity or your estate is up to you.

The only "bargains" to be had on ebay now are items that have been inadequately described, or whose auctions end during the cup final, so if you want your estate to get the best value for them, there's a case to be made for photographing everything, then filing an accurate description with each photo so your grieving heirs won't advertise a Witcher 'pin as a fly reel.

Horribly unromantic, but that's life. Sort of.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Only last week I retrieved two cane rods from the side of a wheelie bin that a neighbour had thrown away, They were her deceased husbands.
One of them was a fly rod. Also a glass top section. I am keeping a close watch on her bin in the next few weeks waiting for the reels to appear.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Baz, you have no shame!!

I disposed of a quite a bit of old tackle for an old freinds father's estate a while back via e-bay,car boot and private sale and raised about ?600.00.Hard work but his widow was very grateful.

David Barber

Reaction score
How bout keeping it in the 'FM family'! Have some one sell it for you on the FM Second Hand Section, letting you leave this world in the comforting thought that a FM member will be making the most of your treasured fishing gear.

W

Wolfman Woody

I will have the same problem. My son now has absolutely no interest in fishing and when Connor suddenly discovers that some of his mates are developing bumps on their chests, he could lose interest too.

I just hope my wife doesn't sell it for the price I told her I'd bought it for.

I do keep a spreadsheet of all my main items to be used as a guide to help my son launch them on Ebay with guide prices to put in the listings. Being a computer genious now, he should crack the six levels of security codes and encryption I have put on it to stop the wife finding out.

I'd like one rod, could be the cheapest, to be held back for my funeral. I want to be stretched out in my boat Viking style clutching the rod and after chucking three gallons of unleaded all over me, light it up and push it into the Thames. In the evening twilight at least it would give the people of Marlow something to watch on an otherwise boring night.

Then again - This idea of having a central collection depot for sorting, storing and reselling tackle for bereaved relatives (especially expensive barbel rods) could well be Deanos new business plan!

D

david bruce 1

I'm taking mine with me - I fancy my chances with those Ghost Carp

K

Kevin Perkins

And in a similar vein......

Going through father in law's bits and pieces we have come across half a dozen 35mm compact cameras, all with cases, one of which is a Nikon. As well as that, one of those Kodak instant cameras that were withdrawn due to copyright issues with Polaroid.

I have well aware they are probably not worth tuppence, but you never know.....

Charity shop/skip/ebay - same old questions!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

One things for sure -

When you're dead you won't be bothered where they go!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
No-one in my family is interested in my fishing, apart from my dad and he'll be gone before me.
I am going to put a letter in my tackle bag that when i go, to give mine to a child that is learning somewhere. Knowing he/she will have the same smiles as i have had.

L

Les Clark

Much the same for me ,my gear will be left to my club , to pass on to any youngster who is in need ,if there is ANY youngsters still fishing by then of course !

P

pete the levelspiker(pac)

when our mate jon cotton sadly died in 2005,myself and jon helyer sold all his tackle to members of the local pac region,all the money raised was then given to his parents who donated it to the childrens society.
hopefully mine will go the same way,only the money will be donated to the local hospice,who helped my mum in her recovery from breast cancer.

Reaction score
I'll wait to see if the lads produce offspring who are anglers.

If not then I'll give instructions similar to Wendy and Les.

As for me...it's in the will. Fling my ashes from Teston weir on the Medway so I float down under Teston, Barming and Farleigh bridges going back to the descendents of the fish that taught me so much and hooked me for life.

Tom Hautot

Reaction score
How about leaving your/our tackle to organizations like Les Webber's, teaching children to fish to get them off the streets. I think Les is based in the Weybridge area of Surrey. Does anyone have an address as I have some rods he could have now. Also there is an organization up north a bit. I like the general idea as the thought of all those rods that I have painstakingly rebuilt going to the tip makes me a bit sad.