What is this?

L

Luke Allsop

It's a species of sunfish, I'll get back to you on this one.

mike gibson 2

Reaction score
I KNOW THIS AS A PUMPKIN SEED FISH. I FIRST CAUGHT ONE FISHING A LAKE IN THE BORDEAUX AREA. THEY GROW QUITE LARGE AND EVEN THE SMALLER ONES HAVE TEETH CAPABLE OF BITING THROUGH MONOLINES

I THINK THEY ARE ALSO PREVALENT IN THE WARMER AREAS OF AMERICA

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Theres a lake stuffed full of them in a local commercial in Sussex. As said, I think they're pumpkin seed fish.

L

Luke Allsop

It is indeed a pumpkinseed fish, Lepomis gibbosus, they're from the same family as sunfish. The natural range of freshwater sunfish is canada, the US and mexico.

Pip Walters

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Luke Allsop wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>It is indeed a pumpkinseed fish, Lepomis gibbosus, they're from the same family as sunfish. The natural range of freshwater sunfish is canada, the US and mexico.</blockquote>
This fish is not a pumpkinseed sunfish. Pumpkins have less well-pronounced stripes, more spots, rounded dorsal and anal fins, a more elongate body and an eyespot on the gill. This looks to me like a severum cichlid (Heros severum) and will not live the winter in this country. Google the two fish and compare.

L

Luke Allsop

It's not a Severum, I've kept these fish and this looks nothing like it. The nose is wrong and very few specimens have well defined dorsal rays and bars on their bodies.

This is severum, Cichlasoma severum.
severum_0.jpg

Pip Walters

Reaction score
hero_severum.jpg

This is also a severum, so you tell me? There are no eyespots on the fins of this one, unlike those in your pic. Colours are going to be variable dependent on temperature and stress levels, not to mention ater chemistry in an English waterway.

I will investigate more, but it sure is no pumpkinseed !

Pip Walters

Reaction score
You only have to look at severums in google images to see how variable they are. I am convinced that this is a severum (Heros severum). Very few of googles images show eyespots on the dorsal and anal fins either.

Pip Walters

Reaction score
Hahahahaha, hi Mark. What do you reckon mr Whimple (I think that name suits him better) would make of it?

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
Is this what the american fisherman refer to as a "crappy"of course this isnt the real nameand yes I`m talking about the pic at the top

CatmanDan (emmo Jnr)

Reaction score
The gill plates are different between the pic at the top and pumkinseed. I did think it was a blue gill but the gill plates are different.

Pip Walters

Reaction score
No Catman, the crappie is a type of 'bass' or sunfish. It isn't a cichlid. The yanks lure fish for various types of bass and I think they call the crappie 'calico bass'. The only relationship between cichlids and crappies is that they are both Perciformes - the Order of fish to which things like our perch, and both fresh water and sat water bass belong.

GreyFox

Reaction score
It's either an 18lb barbel or a 9lb chub judging by some of the posts made on this forum in the past!

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif