what is the largest fresh water fish inthe world?

B

Ben Paternoster 4

what is the biggest fresh water fish in the world? i heard it was the arrapima but then someone told me it was a type of sturgeon. Then theres the mahseer and siamese carp

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It depends on whether they are classified freshwater fish or not. Sturgeon can live in both fresh and salt water.

There is a mighty catfish found in south west Asia that lives completely in freshwater. The Vundu catfish of the Zambezi has been known to reach weights of 1000 lbs.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It's probably the Arapiama of the Amazon which reaches a length of 14 feet and is deep with it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That's the one Nige.

I think there is a hell of a difference between the biggest fish ever taken on rod and line and what actually exists. There are Arapiama swimming in the Amazon that are truly massive I am told.

Try landing one of them on a 3lb test curve rod!

:eek:)

B

Ben Paternoster 4

i heard the aripiama only got to about 600 pounds it was on tv.i think the program was called jungle hooks

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Arapaima gigas is classified by some authorities as the largest scaled freshwater fish in the world. The big ones, over 12 feet in length and weighing upwards of 1/2 a tonne are now very rare.

Unfortunately for the Arapaima it is very good to eat and is hunted extensively in the Amazon basin.

It is an out and out predator and can be caught on live and dead baits, lures and large flies.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The Mekong Catfish is also extremely endangered.

The problem being as in the case of the Arapaima, it is very good to eat.

Beecy

Reaction score
ive just been having a good look at that Siam tours site, Im going to start saving up for a holiday with them !