why are younger anglers branded as trouble makers

B

Ben Paternoster 4

i am only eighten and been fishing since the age of about eight. But i remember when i was younger we were often moaned at for being noisy or messing about(mainly because we were catching the better fish).
instead of moaning why dont`t people just help them out
p.s about three years ago i caught a 8Lb 4 oz thames chub how close is it to the thames record because my local tackle shop told me it was the biggest they had heard of

NIGE K

Reaction score
most young people of today are uneducated unruley unrespectful yobs who wouldn,t except help if offered.but that may be just in my town god i sound so old.but im sure any young person who is a really keen angler will learn that part of fishing is learning to be patient and quiet and show consideration for others.though on some of the ponds that i fish it is the older anglers who make the most noise and as i dont fish at the weekend to avoid the kids im not the best one to say anything.but if a young angler did approach me and had been showing the right attitude on the bank i would be more than willing to help them out.

alan

Reaction score
Ben i take all 3 of my kids fishing, the youngest is 4. all are keen and interested.

ive seen other kids fishing who were not interested and dont want the help.

im going to get a slating for this, but i no longer help kids unless they are polite, and keen.

the reason being, i helped a group of kids on a pier one day, their rigs were c**p, the bait no good, and the didnt have a clue. i gave then rigs out of my tackle, gave them bait, showed them how to cast and got them catching fish. they were the worst set of kids i have ever met, they were so ungrateful when i stated to pack up, i was asked "have you got any more f***ing rigs, uncase we lose them, and we will have your f***ing bait"
needless to say, the bait was chucked over the side and i left them nothing, as i was leaving their dad(i think) turned up with all his fishing gear, and the kids comments were "he is f**king off now, we can have the best spot"

why the hell should i help people like that?

B

Ben Paternoster 4

well you cannot brand all youths because of a small minority.
every one starts somewhere but fair enough you do encounter some twats

pcpaulh

Reaction score
To be honest Ben I don't think all youths have been branded trouble makers, well not in fishing anyway?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Unfortunately Alan you are dead right.

When I was 18, I called all my elders: Sir, and I was only too keen to get some help.

But it was a different world then. We were only too cogniscent of the fact that if we didn't get a decent education and learn quickly, we would end up poor and unemployed for the rest of our lives.

I often wonder what the future has in store for yobs like those shown on TV the other day with David Cameron.

They have nothing, do they? They probably can't even read or write properly.

Certainly, if ever I had to be a parent in England again. which thankfully I do not, I would scrimp and save and send any son or daughter of mine to the right kind of private school!

E

EC

I reckon I meet, and have met more 'young anglers' than most.

Of those I have actually met, which must now number in the 1000's, I reckon 95% of them are absolute diamonds.

Once they knew whats what, and what was/was not acceptable the ones I met rarely gave me trouble and were very well behaved.

I couldn't say the same for 95% of the so called adults that I have met on the bank.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Quite right Ec I dont think its kids that leave half of tescos behind in the swim on a water I know bleedin idiots they are much worse than a few kids using their catapults for mischief.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
To be honest I've had more problems with ignorant adults than I've ever had with youngsters.
Occasionally, you come across a rowdy bunch-not long ago I witnessed two girls attack a fishery owner but they weren't fishing-but by and large if they are anglers they are half way there to being a respectable member of society in my book.
After all, they could be on a dark street corner with hood up, blade in the pocket...
When youngsters do misbehave you have to make a judgement whether to engage them in dialogue or not.
If you appear friendly, 9/10 times you'll get a friendly response.
Let them know quietly but firmly about showing courtesy to other anglers and fish and most times they'll listen.
One thing we must not do is brand all youngsters with the same tarbrush.
As Eddie C said there are some smashing Kids out there; they just need a helping hand.
I would ask one thing though of the under 18's. For the sake of us old gits please steer clear of text speak on forums.
If we can understand what you are on about we can, and will, help, but you have to meet us half way!

B

Bill Cox

anyway back to the thread, i agree with ec and co most youngsters are only to glad of advice and will willingly listen if talked to properly. All to often adults talk down to youths and this day and age youngsters won't tolerate that.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

I love kids, the troble these days is I can't eat more than one a day on the bank.

T

trev matthews

I work in a school where most of the kids have been expelled from others and ended up. I take a group of them, boys and girls fishing and they love it. Trouble is im not a teacher and the teachers want to know how I get more respect from the kids than they do, little do they know I treat the kids like I expect to be treated. It works wonders.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Trev, you've got it dead right. You need to show respect to earn some respect back. Angling can be a great leveller. Seems to me to be perfect for delinquent kids. In the right hands they learn how to care for the fish, listen to their tutor (hopefully!), respect their environment, and generally be a decent member of society. Keep on with what you're doing.

Janet

M

MarkTheSpark

For 'youth' read 'people'; 95% of people are decent, and the ratio's the same with kids. I meet some really nice lads on the bank.

If they are naffing about it's usually because they are bored, and they are bored because they aren't catching anything. It thus follows that if you get them catching, they stop messing around.

In the past, I've found that catching anything at all will keep them quiet; I once showed some lads how to catch bleak with floating maggot, and they had a whale of a time.

As adults, we have the choice; helping those kids so that they enjoy fishing, or letting them get bored with it and move on to less worthy pursuits. Often, they only need ten minutes' advice and a few hooks to nylon, and they're chuffed to nuts.

I'll risk the wrath of the 5% of t**ts to help the majority

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Mark, agree totally.
If they are messing about it is because they aren't catching.
Spend 10 minutes setting up a new rig, plumbing up or tying on an appropriate hook for the venue, so they start catching is almost as satisfying as catching oneself.
I go off and wonder if I might just have saved someone from leaving the sport.
Believe it or not-and Eddie C can vouch for me on this- I was a qualified NFA Coach at one stage,and being able to help kids catch gave me an enormous buzz.
That was until they came up with bloody risk assessments and annual coaching 'licences'costing ?50-all so I could teach kids for nothing...

M

MarkTheSpark

If ever FM wanted to make a fantastic contribution to angling (and you could count me in on this) it would be to organise an annual Beginner's Day somewhere.

I know FM has done something similar, but I seem to remember there weren't enough places for all those who applied. We should get some kind soul to donate a fishery for the day and employ FM's impressive troops to turn out and give a few hours of their time.

I'm sure you'd get the support of the angling bodies, such as they are.