What is the tastiest fish

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I'll leave out shellfish here as quite frankly the South African Rock Lobster and our ordinary common lobster are supreme.

I was chatting in my local the other day about the best eating fish. He liked plain old cod, whilst I prefer haddock. Sole are pretty good too.

But when he asked me what I regarded as one of the best eating fish in UK waters - I told him: zander!

That made me think.

In all my travels, the best fish I have ever eaten was a species called a Makriel or Butter Barbel taken from the Limpopo river many years ago. They are actually a form of catfish. They don't grow very big, say 3 lbs at the outside, but the taste - wow!

No wonder they are called the Butter Barbel!

What's yours?

E

EC

My old mate had a fish farm in Louisiana Mark. He always went on about the cajun catfish!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
When I lived in Malta we used to get fresh lemon sole from the fishmarket in Valetta on a Friday and they were lovely, they just melted in your mouth. 45 years ago that was and I can still bring back the taste, they were that good.

Beecy

Reaction score
when I went wreck fishing out of Cornwall last year the boat had BBQ fixed to the back, made from half an oil drum fixed on pivots so it kept level

mackerel straight from the sea and onto the grill within seconds, nicest fish I've had. we also chucked on a few pollack steaks but i didn't reckon much to it.

S

Stevie 12345

Like anything, but more so with fish, it has got to be eaten as fresh as possible.

The best I have eaten has got to be in Portugal, in Vale de lobo, they would bring the Sea Bass and Sea Bream that had just been caught and cook them on an open barbecue, served simply with seasoning and little olive oil.

Im hungry just thinking about it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Mackerel are very nice but they must be fresh. I've eaten pollack and like you Beecy have found them tasteless.

Now I do like conger. Had a piece some time ago I got from Morrisons - very nice.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I love Gurnard, fresh from the sea, they really are a beautiful eating fish, and what a pity they don't grow nmuch bigger.

I had altogether too much Catfish when I lived in Mississippi to ever want to eat it ever again.

Reaction score
It's a bass I caught from the shore at Dover. Wonderful. I was then sick for 3 days. Moral...always check where the sewage outfall is before shore fishing.

It was still a great tasting fish!

Beecy

Reaction score
the theme here seems to be fresh as possible, cooked over charcoal, no fancy stuff

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I would certainly agree with you there John about the Kingklip.

Kingklip/lobster thermidor at the Harbour Cafe in Cape Town!!

Memorable indeed.

C

Cakey

I love cod but its an up an down fish, no two pieces the same ..............

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Worst i have ever tasted is Flake which is actually Shark and they sell it in Australian fish and chip shops.
If you like eating rubber try Flake

E

EC

It's really true about the freshness. The difference in the taste of local whiting and flatfish caught and cooked on the same day, compared to that kept overnight is unreal!

Y

yoggy

Same as Beecy,I had the pleasure of going wreck fishing last year. We caught some Mackerel that went straight on the boats BBQ.The skipper supplied some fresh thick bread his wife had made the night before. We simply buttered the bread and placed the mackerel on it,absolutely fantastic.