The Biggest Lobworm.....!

S

Simon Marlow

Hi,

I thought this might be a good topic for discussion.

I've just been out collecting some lobworms ready for my session tomorrow (Monday). I never fail to get around 20-30 big fat juicy lobs plus loads of smaller one's from the dustbin area of the block of flats where I live. The biggest one that I have ever found was very nearly a foot long (give or take half-an-inch) and about half-an-inch wide/thick, (which I didn't want to pick up at first, just incase it tried to bite me - LOL!).

So - What is the biggest one that you have ever found?

S

Simon Marlow

LOL!

Nice one Cakey - That's what I thought at the time too!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That is a big lob Simon!!

Years ago I was staying in the Eastern Cape Province just north of East London. The hotel was connected to a golf course with well mowed fairways. But I couldn't help notice the large (and I mean large) worm casts on the fairway.

Early next morning I went for walk along the fairway. It had rained during the night and the air smelt fresh.

And there in front of me was an enormous worm - at least 4 feet long it was and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.

And no it wasn't a snake. That area of South Africa is renowned for its huge earthworms.

Some of the largest worms are also found in Australia.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I found one when I was a kid in the silt of a stream at the side of a lake it must have been about a foot and half long and about half inch thick it has always puzzled me as too what species it was.The carp I caught within seconds of putting it on ate the evidence sadly.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Our own lobworm belongs to the largest group of earthworms found in the world. They are wonderful animals and vital to the well being of the soil.

Unfortunately the use of pesticides has affected the amount of worms you can collect these days.

I once had a barney with a golf club captain who wanted to spray the fairways of his golf course with worm killer. stupid b*****d!!!

The world's largest worm was found near Port Elizabeth - SA and was 22 feet long!