FACT Website Launched

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date
N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

There was a long thread about FACT and whether it could prove to be the represenative body the sport is crying out for.

There was some criticism about a perceived lack of profile but the website looks good.I am not sure the link in the press release works properly so you will have to type in the address.

Hopefully the move to individual membership will not be far away as this is essential in my view to FACT really moving forward.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Could the technical guys please put this in the general section.It seems that any thread started in response to a home page article starts off by default in this section.I am sure this is not the intention as it is diluting the purpose of this section as dedicated to events/fish-ins.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, what can I say.

The website is well laid out, but other than repeating a lot of what was already known, it brings nothing new into the debate as to whether or not this is the group that we (as individual anglers) should give our support.

Interestingly though, FM seems to have been "missed" off of the list of 'Internet Discussion Forums and News Resources' whereas on the list you will find; maggot-drowners, total-fishing.com and Anglers Net together with good old AT and AM.

Oversight?

The one piece of information that I would have liked to have seen is, obviously, missing as well; that being the amount of money that each of the 'member' organisations donates from our individual subscriptions.

One day I might even get an answer to that one . . . . . although I'll not hold my breath in waiting!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Peter,the only way you can potentially influence its direction is via membership of one of it constituent organisations.

I'd be interested in hearing your views on NUBA which is purporting to be the indiivdual member organisation you are looking for.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

I am already a member of 2 of the groups currently using part of my subscriptions to finance F.A.C.T.

And I have written to both bodies asking how much of my subscription is being 'donated' to F.A.C.T. so far, neither have bothered to reply.

I have had a long look at the NUBA site, and the thread on here too, but there is very little in the way of detailed information.

I have no problem parting with the ?3.00 to become a member, and will probably do so soon, if for no other reason than to see it working, 'from the inside' so to speak.

We, (all anglers) need an independant national group that is properly funded via Individual Membership, otherwise the 'group' funding will lead to politics and a situation where he who 'donates' the most will have the Loudest Voice.

E

Evan

What genius chose the acronym FACT ?

Not exactly bright when you've already got the Federation Against Copyright Theft in being....

Adrian Nicholas

Reaction score
full support and fingers crossed as to the much needed success of this initiative,

best wishes

L

Lee Fletcher 1

I've been in more interesting undertakers waiting rooms.

Did FACT make the most of their web site, or the information highway is was plonked on?

Already in cahoots with NAFAC via my fishing club membership and life member of the ACA. Great orgs who in my opinion shouldn't waste their/my money on more FACT twaddle. Mind you, I doubt they are spending that much anyway, the ACA and NAFAC that is.

"Hopefully the move to individual membership will not be far away as this is essential in my view to FACT really moving forward."

Didn't move far mate did it? I banged on endlessly about FACT allowing individual membership. I may as well shouted down the drain outside our house.

"Peter,the only way you can potentially influence its direction is via membership of one of it constituent organisations."

I'm a life member of one of them Nigel and guess what, they didn't even ask me if I thought it was OK if they joined the cosy corner FACT club. Not a word, diddly, squish.

Dear Evan,

Wonderful isn't it, type FACT in a search engine and Federation Against Copyright Theft comes up every single time.Smiley face.

Regards,

Lee.

TheNomadicOne

Reaction score
I personally feel that F.A.C.T will not be the saviour for anglers that people think it might be. Looks way too political to do such a job, and I have no faith in politics.

I hope I am proved wrong though longterm, but until I am, I will stick with my ACA membership and maybe a couple of species clubs that catch my attention.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Nomad, you may well have no faith in politics, but every facet of your life along with us all is governed by it.Angling whether you like it or not is involved with politics the EA, CEFAS, DEFRA, Natural England (NE) all are arms of government, ergo they political, working to a political agenda set by politicians and the government of the day.

If you take just one ever-present problem, water pollution, to gain any reduction in it means the polluter is either not meeting his legal requirements under the law, a law put there by the political process, or is using a loophole to get round it. To block up that loophole, angling has to use the political process by lobbying and campaigning for the government to introduce laws or amendments to laws that block it.And so it goes through every concern that anglers have about threats to their sport. They all involve politics to a greater or lesser degree.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Dear Lee,

Edited out

Someting went wrong with the links.. Get badlk later./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

John

F

Fred Bonney

"What genius chose the acronym FACT ?"

Probably the same one who chose,ACA!

The Monk

Reaction score
I think the thing people need to remember about politics is that the moment you pick up a fishing rod, you are politically involved, make no mistake here.

J

What I was going to say Leewas this; I'm sure you will realise that trying to register a web domain name is not always straight forward and I don't think that the easysearching of a web site was top of the agenda when FACT was first born. There is however much web design expertise andexperience within some of the member organisation that will be able to give the new organisation a site to match any on the www.

I looked into the possibility of using 'www.csg.co.uk' (for The Chub Study Group) but found that some blaggard had already registered the name, and other variations, although the sites are not live.

Search engines can take many many months to pick up onnew sites, unless you pay handsomelyfor their services, and getting to page 3-4 on Google is considered good.

The FACT web site may not be good enough for some, but is far better and more informativethanRanters & Ravers Anonand gives the facts, not incandescent ravings.

Everyone is involved in 'politics' whether they like it or not

Not bragging, but 'durhamanglers' comes up top of the page, even 'dcac' is 3rdtop from 212,000entries onGoogle/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear John,

It's not a hard task, as I bet you know well, to place search text in a front or entry page that the search engine picks up?

My whole point about the FACT website is it appears to have been the last consideration when forming FACT, having a website I mean and using the internet to further their cause? Either a real big mistake on their part or an admission it never intended to employ the internet much anyway?

Phil is dead right, as are you about the need for angling to have apolitical wing to look after our sports interest. No argument there.

Regards,

Lee.

J

No not hard Lee, but it has taken over 5 years of 'clicks' for theDCAC site to get recognised by search engines. (being a Tyke I'm not keen on paying to have it registered with search engines)I'm not exactly sure when the FACT site went live but it's probably about 12months andwas some years after FACT was set up

I did have all the minutes/e-mails etc but lost everything when my laptop went belly up. Must remember to back-up more often /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif