Public relations

T

Terry Mann

Going on from a point made in another thread does angling need a public relations make over.When anglers get a bad press ,you either hear nothing in reply from our side or those chosen to represent angling get walked over by the media.
Who do you think would do the best job in fighting our corner,perhaps on a tv or radio debate ?

P

Peter Morton

Keith Arthur,is a very good talker and is familiar with both tv & radio,which i feel is a plus as i would imagine both could be a shade daunting if one had no experience.
Peter.

C

Chris Bishop

As big an own goal as swans caught in discarded line and litter on the banks.

We ned to be much more pro-active and build bridges with the media now, rather than waiting for the next broadside.

T

Terry Mann

Chris,
I agree whole heartedly that we need to be more pro-active in showing the positive side of angling.However at the moment there seems to be an attitude of if we keep our heads down they might leave us alone. My point was that there are lot,s of good things to be said but have we got the people to put the message across in a professional way.

S

Steve Burke

Forgot to add why. Bruno's a qualified scientist, politically involved, a quick thinker and a very fast talker. The latter's important in media debate as the more words you can get in the better. In fact, Bruno's the Patrick Moore of angling scientists!

M

Martin Wright

We need friends in high places particularly in politics and the media.

In my opinion, there are no established angling 'names' who are capable or have a proper media exposure to do the job. Thats not to say that there aren't lots of people out there doing their best and helping at all levels, but lets not kid ourselves that any of the angling personalities we all know and love are going to lead us through the troubled waters ahead.

Can't we somehow mobilise those well known politicians and personalities who either fish or support fishing to give us more positive exposure.

I personally don't support hunting but you have to admire the way they fought their corner via the countryside alliance and the march in London which did have a big impact - and we have far more public support than them.

I would love to see the setting up of an organisation dedicated to the promotion of angling and fighting the antis. Run by professionals and with none of the baggage and inertia associated with existing organisations who could then be left to persue their original aims.

All we need is about 5 million quid !

R

Richard Barrell

I agree with Peter the person that I have seen & heard defending Angling: is Keith Arthur. But I feel That some of the AT's columnist's, do not help when they make stupid quotes.

J

Jon Moores

The best I've seen at doing this for angling on the TV was Charles Jardine of the Countryside Alliance who appeared as an interviewee on a number of news programmes when PETA launched their publicity campaign. I don't recall seeing the NFA, for instance, at the time.

P

Paul Williams

Bruno Is the man, Steve's right!.....but paired with our own old git Marsden...a formidable duo!!

L

Les middy

how about sedge&you know who,
talk about friends in high places!!!!

happy new year to all & tight lines

T

Terry Mann

We could,nt lose could we,however I think he,s pretty busy at the moment.
I have,nt heard Charlie Jardine speaking on the subject but I can imagine he would hold his own. I did however a couple of years ago hear someone from the NFA try and reply to criticism and ended up feeling sorry for him,he just was,nt up to it.
I might be naive but fishing tackle manufacturers what ever they say still make alot of money from angling could,nt they plough some back in to promoting it in a positive way.Perhaps they already do ?

A

Ashe Hurst

I saw an episode of Holly oaks,that just took the pxxx out of anglers,also gave the wrong message about our sport/past time.
Also last week was a prime time tv celeb wind up show with David seamen and joe pasqualie promoting dodgie tackle along with an actor pretending to be a angling pro.
Whilst the scetch was funny,to a non angler it must have sent out the wrong/steriotypical image.

Having strong views on angling,its PR and conservation,but not in a position to creat a media interest,i do feel our high profile celebs who fish,such as certain radio/tv presenters and sports men,along with high level persons within angling can do far far more to do so.
One TV program,Carlton country,shown in the SE coverd a few angling items and did so rather well.Nothing to heavy,but enough to get the public watching.Lets hope itv produce another,prehaps with a bit more detail.
Also local councils around the UK seem rather ignorant about the waters they own and angling.This is one subjuct i do know about,but will talk about this another time.
Having spoken to Bruno once or twice and recived some sound info from him,i feel he would be a great angling PR manager.