Pellets in the winter?

C

Carp Angler

I will probably still use pellets on certain waters thru the winter.
Some pellets that I use still break down in the cold.
I tend to test them in chilled fridge water first.
Mind you I do this with all my baits and presentations anyway, just so I know what is happening out there on the lake bed.

What if any pellets do you use thru the winter?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I shall be using SBS CSL (Corn Steep Liquor) pellets this winter for chub and barbel. Excellent results with them through summer and they break down quite rapidly in cold water, but have yet to try them in winter.

P

Philip Inzani

I dont use masses of pellets but so far from what I have seen and what I have read/been told the Mainline crumball and Hutchinson forula majic pellets seem to be really good "workers" that break down esily and just as importantly keep on working afterwards. Not sure how they perform in really cold water but I have been happy with them so far.

D

Dan Wellington

I use quite a few pellets over a season mainly Hinders betaine and mainline response pellets both breakdown quite fast , moreso the betaine being only 3mm in size, if I want it to breakdown any faster I'll scald with boiling water this seems to send them on their way.

P

Philip Inzani

Dan, how are you getting them out once you scald them ? ...method feeder ?

D

Dan Wellington

Not to keen on the Method feeder Philip, just a personal thing I suppose, what I usually do if I'm fishing over 20yds or so is use a small spod, mix the scalded pellets with normal pellets and hemp, and perhaps some broken up boilies, this way you get a few different breakdown times and attractors released at various levels.
But thinking about it a method feeder would do much the same job.

D

Darren Wilson

Nashy's Monster Carp Pellets. 100% breakdown in cold water in less than 20 minutes. In warmer water they last less than 5 minutes.