My Fishing Day with Martin James

T

The Monk

An excellent article Janet and well done, you had a good teacher in Martin, a lovely chap, I did a few radio programmes with Martin back in the early 90s at the Blackburn studio

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
That is one very happy lady. It never ceases to amaze me the thrill that a person gets when they catch their first decent fish, suddenly life has a new edge to to it.

Great stuff.

F

Fred Bonney

Well done Janet, a great experience, and an equally good write up.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Martin James gets a bit of stick from some people that I know. I have been to a couple of his talks, and at the end of each one, he has always said, if you fancy a days chubbing come and see me after and we'll arrange something, and there was no charge. Now I ask you, how many anglers appart from our Graham would say that?
Good write up Janet.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Aahh but would you buy me a pint as well? Graham did. Had to buy me own chips though(o

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Baz, you're going to ruin my well earned reputation for being tight.

McWallet

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. I certainly enjoyed writing it and reliving the day! I can't begin to convey what a good day it was, and what a real gent (and a character!) Martin is.

If all goes well, he's taking me out again, once the season starts, probably to the River Aire, and has also kindly offered to spend time showing me some fly fishing basics later in the year.

And yes, all this he does completely for free. He must have helped hundreds of people over the years. I only hope that one day I too can put something back into our sport like he does.

Incidentally, I commented on how good the line was that he was using. I came home tonight to find he'd sent me a reel of it in the post. I'll be using it this weekend!

Janet

F

Fred Bonney

I listened to him online the other day,just didn't expect that accent.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Martin is sound, a genuine enthusiast. Knows the the Kennet inside out too, mind you there aren't many places he hasn't fished.
His life is one dedicated to angling.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
Well done on a great article and good to see another lady angler coming into the fold.

Mike

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Janet

An excellent read! Thanks for that, I really enjoyed it...

Don't worry about those missed bites - chub are ABSOLUTELY infuriating! I can't think of any other fish that can produce such frustration... great big thumps on the quiver tip, you strike into NOTHING! Again and again... and then you tentatively hit a one inch pull that could have been caused by a bit of weed or some extra flow and BAM! the rod hoops round.

Forgive me for waxing lyrical, but Shakespeare wrote of Cleopatra's "infinite variety" when trying to explain her allure... so it is with chub. They seem to have an inexhaustible repetoire or biting without getting caught, which is exactly what keeps us coming back.

(Incidentally, I've heard some anglers, myself included, refer to them in very different language when they're being difficult..)

As you wisely point out in the article, at least they bite in the winter! Here's to more success on the river's before the season closes.

Well done!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Nice one Jim! Infuriating doesn't even come close to describing it! Still, I now know what to do, hopefully I'll get out on Sunday and put it into practice.

Janet

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
That is an excellent article, well written by an enthusiastic angler. More please!

Congratulations Janet on the Chub and on the way you managed to convey your feelings on the day. Also well done to Martin. Janet, it sounds as though you have a very good teacher to guide you in this fine sport.