fishing from a boat

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Hi Chaps

Bit of advice wanted

I'm thinking of buying one of those flat pack rowing boat- saw one at the NEC boat show last year - John Wilson used one in "Go Fishing" once, these fold flat and can fit on a luggage rack on a car.

I thought it might be a nice way to fish a few rivers.

Now for the advice bit, will I need to buy club tickets from the relevant controlling club if I row down a river and anchor up in the middle of the river?

Also I know that not all rivers are navigable - how can I find out which ones are and which aren't?

Any other advice anyone can give me

Tally Ho

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
We've got an inflatable and outboard. Rolls up and just JUST fits in car boot. Can go anywhere with it.

Janet

Lord Paul

Reaction score
THanks Janet

Have you had any problems re where you can go?

Tally Ho

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
We've mainly launched on the canals, as we're canal addicts, but did have a fantastic trip on the River Dee last summer. It's so easy to launch - you don't need a slipway.

Remember you'll need a licence and insurance to be legal.

Janet

T

Tony Rocca

Paul,

Answer is no not on tidal waters. Yes on such as the Trent, but not everywhere.

You, as said, do need insurance and a BW licence.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Yes, we've got the lot. We like to do things right, then we're not looking over our shoulder all the time. We have been checked a few times.

I think our BW permit is called Waterways Wanderer, or something like that. You get a book of tickets which you fill in on the day you're using it, and display on the boat. And yes, we do fill it in every time!

M

MarkTheSpark

Lots of information here Paul.

There's a downloadable guide to boats in inland waterways and other stuff.

But I have to say that I think not buying a 12-footer on a trailer you're missing a trick; dragging one on holiday it can be used to carry the luggage as well as the tackle.

And there are loads of slipways on navigable rivers where there's a nominal charge or none at all.

I have to say I wouldn't trust a cheap inflatable further than I could throw one, and anything that folds up could fold up while I'm in 15 feet of water.

I'm probably being cynical, but just think; get a proper boat and you could build in a livebait tank, battery lockers, run a whisper-quite electric motor and a decent sounder without having to cart it all round by hand

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Mark old chap SSSSHHHH

The plan is get this boat and do a spot of fishing localy- move on to a bigger boat you know how it goes moan about the lack of size , nowehre for fishing gear . Then when I retire upgrade to something that I can live on for a week at a time then come home for the washing to be done and then a week later off I go again

Tally Ho

Trisantona

Reaction score
Fold flat "port-a-boat"s have good write ups on other forums,bit pricy though.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Janet.
There are canals where you are not allowed to fish from your boat.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

And that's all BW owned canals!

C

Cakey

9. Fish from a moving boat*

Fishing is permitted from the back of a boat moored to the towing path bank. However:
1. You must possess a valid permit or be prepared to purchase one from the controlling angling club or riparian owner when approached on any fishery that offers day permits.

2. You must also possess an Environment Agency rod licence available in advance online or from any post office.

M

MarkTheSpark

Lord Paul. I very nearly bought a boat off ebay just after Crimbo; 14 ft dory with a cuddy, new 6hp outboard, galvanised road trailer, lighting board, geared up for remotes. It was just seven years old - ?870.

The only thing that held me back was that I'd have had to sell my FZR600 bike, and I decided I fancied a few more months going fast instead.

Little fishing boats are seriously cheap; watch for the trailers, though - some aren't road trailers.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
THanks Mark

I've been trawlling cue groans at bad punthe internet looking at prices, and not sure about one on a trailer - storage being an issue. I'd rather have one at a perament mooring and that cost between 1000 and 2000 quid I've been told by a mate of mine who is seriously thinking of selling his house and buying a narrow boat to live on.

Going on the canals this summer on a narrow boat, I've been several times with mates but this will be the first time for the wife.

We've talked seriously about getting a boat when we retire but not a live aboard, may be move somewhere nearer the waterways systems and buy a 4 berth cruiser.

Tally Ho

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I have to say I wouldn't trust a cheap inflatable further than I could throw one, and anything that folds up could fold up while I'm in 15 feet of water.

Mark, I wouldn't call over ?900 cheap! With insurance, licence etc, it's set us back near enough ?1000. It's not a toy - it was bought from Preston Marina, and its solid as a rock and very rigid when inflated. The folding boats are also excellent. Have you ever actually had a good look at one?

Baz - I don't think there are any BW canals where it's legal to fish from your boat. We don't use it for fishing, just cruising and camping trips. It's good to explore some of the canals that aren't navigable on our narrowboat trips.

Janet