Tackle for match fishing

wrighty

Reaction score
i want to start match fishing soon and i was just wondering what kind of tackle do you need for a basic set up any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks dave

T

Terry D

As a starter you will need a pole, a waggler rod and a feeder rod. These need to be strong enough for the species of fish you will be targetting so they may vary from venue to venue. Don't forget 2 keepnets which is a rule on a lot of commercial fisheries.

D

Danny Lancaster

A good pole roller and a tulip are part of my "essentials" also.

wrighty

Reaction score
how big does the keepnets have to be and how many pole rollers do i need.What is a tulip.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Keepnets - a match set is usually a carp net at 3 metres by 50cm x 40cm plus silver fish net 2.5 metres 45cm x 35cm. Don't get ones smaller than this, bigger if possible. Pole rollers - one for up to 11/12 metres of pole, 2 for 13 metres plus. Some anglers use more to get different angles for shipping back ie a straight out in front swim and margin swim.

A tulip is a plastic device shaped like tulip head to hold the end of the unshipped pole to stop it blowing about or going forwards in the water. Pole socks are used for the same.

The exact gear required depends on the type of venues you are looking to fish; matches on the Severn might be very different to the fens or a typical Commercial.

Reaction score
All the advice is excellent. You don't make it clear whether you are referring to "open" matches or fishing matches with a club. My advice would be to start fishing matches with the local club. Focus on one or two waters and develop your techniques on those. This will also enable you to minimise your tackle outlay at the start. Mark is correct the need to fit tackle to the venue; hence my advice to narrow your focus.

I would also suggest you go and walk the bank of a few matches. I learned a lot in my youth from watching the "stars" of the Southern circuit fishing the Medway.

wrighty

Reaction score
hi Thank's for the excellent advice sorry i did'nt make it clear i will be fishing open matches and some club matches on commercial fisheries.
Thank's dave

wrighty

Reaction score
just wondering how many top kit's and power kit's do you need for a match, and what size and make are best for commercial fisheries thank's dave