N U B A

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Has any one seen the web site www.nuba.org.uk ? it looks like being a very good body to represent angling. nuba stands for <u>National Union of British Anglers</u>. Apparently Keith Arthur is going to be the president. There is also a big spread in the Angling Times. Ive joined today.

I

Ian Cloke

I might be nit picking here, but, I can't see NUBA having anything to offer disabled anglers?? The site mentions any race, colour, religion etc... But not disabled. So if someone could explain what's the benefit of joining NUBA for disabled anglers, I'd appreciate it.

B

Bill Cox

I would have thought anything that benefits angling as a whole IS benificial to disabled anglers. You ARE nit picking and for no good reason.

I

Ian Cloke

Am I Bill? You can probably fish where you want to, can someone in a wheelchair? Who fights in the disabled anglers corner?

Just because something is beneficial to able bodied anglers does not mean it's good for disabled guys!

stikflote

Reaction score
have got a link so we can sign up,

Ian cloke, is making a very valid point
i also can not get where i like now so do need to know just whats what .

alan

Reaction score
i thought this was what FACT was for?

the bit i cant get my head around is, he wants a meeting on june the 1st in birmingham, inviting people from the other organisations to air their veiws, but he also wants the rspb and p**a.

now surley inviting the twats from p**a will only lead to problems.

im not convinced, and to me it seams that these things are getting as bad as the kids charitys with a new one croping up every week.

if i sepnd money on
license
fact
nfsa
nuba
aca
nfa etc etc
i wont have any money left to fish with.

the best and cheapest action has got to be to give one of the exsiting organisations the power to do what he wants nuba to do.

how long are nuba going to be around for?
he wants to stop the immigrants taking fish, he wants to ignore all the health and safty laws and use common sense instead, sounds good to me, and i suspect to many others. but how long will they last operating under those guide lines before the pc brigade step in and close nuba down?

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Could be a classic case to join and get everyone together.Get all the other related bodies under one brolly.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
It all sounds good Richard but it will never happen seems to me like no one is willing to relinquish any of their groups power to make it happen .And when I hear they want a meeting with certain groups it certainly wont be getting any of my money.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
The ?3 fee is optional, you dont have to pay anything Gav if you dont want. I thought there would have been a better response to it than what i have seen. If they just concentrate on the bird society that would be a great start alone. Ive seen what they have done to waters around my way.They are rule crazy, they make it impossible to fish the waters that they own.

P

paul williams 2

I would sit and talk angler to bird watcher anyday.....in fact i have a fair few times whilst fishing.

But forget even thinking of getting PETA around the table!!

Sorry Keith but i think thats silly?

A

Angler Saxon

Do we need 'another' voice for angling? We should be uniting not dividing. The more organisations like this that get formed mean (like when a new TV channel starts broadcasting) that the pool of available talent gets thinned out a bit and, because they'll each have their own agenda, there will come a time when they all fall out. Not so long ago FACT was being touted as 'the' voice of angling. What's wrong with supporting them? Have they all grown two heads or something?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Angling has been uniting since I was a boy and still haven't done it!! That's 50+ years!!

FACT seems to be going along nicely but as usual not as quickly as they should.

Perhaps Keith Arthur is trying to gee them up or wants a bit more time being a celebrity?

There are more than enough Angling bodies without creating any more confusion.

Colin

Reaction score
NUBA is not "an Angling Body" it is a Union, a Union of all anglers, sea,freshwater and Game, to join is free but I have purchased the Family option for a tenner, basically NUBA is set up to gather as many anglers (names) as it can and then ASK it's members what THEY want, NUBA will then go to the appropriate organisation and lobby on it's members behalf.....NUBA is not looking to govern angling, the more names it has on it's data base the more pressure NUBA can apply where appropriate.

Alan Suttie (the founder) has stated he would sit around a table and talk to PETA members.... IT WAS NOT KEITH ARTHUR (the President of NUBA) Alan stated this BEFORE Keith became President, I believe this issue will be reviewed in due course.

NUBA's agenda will be set by it's members, it will be the members who will decide who we enter into dialog with, it will be the members that will decide which issue's we wish to discuss with the relevant organisation.

I hope that clarifies a few questions.....now go and join NUBA and add your valuable voice....alternativly you could limit expressing your views on angling forums but never actually be heard where it matters, it's your choice, regards Bob (A Member of NUBA).

alan

Reaction score
alternativly you could limit expressing your views on angling forums but never actually be heard where it matter

or you could be part of an organisation that already talks to mps and fisheries departments and is making head away agaisnt a huge number of issues already.

admitadly sea related for my self, but just because people dont like the idea it dosnt mean they are not already active in helping the sport in other ways.

Reaction score
I do not understand the point you are trying to make Alan, NUBA is set up for every angler to join but PARTICULARLY those anglers that do not belong to a club or angling organisation, (est; 95% of anglers) how else will their views be heard? NUBA is a union in every sense of the word.

alan

Reaction score
i was refering to your comment

"alternativly you could limit expressing your views on angling forums but never actually be heard where it matter"

you will find most people on here support a large number of organisations doing what nuba want to do.
i support the SACN peple who have got receational sea angling a voice in the how the stocks are managed, some thing that a few years ago was only done by people with a commerical interset in it. they have also started to get the importance of sea fishing recognised in the goverment.

many on here supported FACT when it was started, trying to do the same as NUBA. your comment implies that we are all to lazy/or uninterested in what happens regarding fishing in this country, you will find you couldnt be further from the truth on here.

and as a few of the comments on this post have already said, there are far to many groups like nuba trying to do the same thing. instead of starting a new group, be it for self importance, to feel good, or because people are bored, they should instead try to take part with the groups already running.

look at it this way, there are 3-4million anglers, if we all supported one group thats 3-4 million voices to be heard.
if we support to groups the only 1.5-2 million per group.
when you are getting to the stage we are at now the figures get lower.

now think what sounds better, you go to the goverment with concerns about an issue in angling,

1) i represent blah, blah and blah and express the veiws of 750,000 anglers

or

2) i represent blah, blah and blah, and express the veiws of 3-4million anglers?

the point is, there are only so many anglers and keep watering down the numbers from one group to another just makes the voices heard smaller.

stick to one group, the ea, fact, defra, sacn, what ever i dont care, and have everyone join them, their voices will be louder then lots of smaller groups.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Alan Suttie phoned me today and thanked me for joining NUBA, which i thought was a very nice thing to do. He thanked me for my donation. And spoke about NUBA, I would urge other anglers to join.

B

Bob Lancaster (ACA)

also got my phone call today very nice of him to do that i thought good luck to him i say hope all go,s well for him

E

EC

Thats a nice gesture, but I would suggest that if the membership goes as high as would be needed to become a proper 'anglers union' he needs to be making 500+ calls a day!

I stated in the first nuba thread, fair play to guy for making the effort but there are enough spokes people for angling as there is, we need just one really good one!