Paints for leads

J

Jim Crosskey 2

I bought some leads the other day that are advertised as sea fishing leads - the reason being they're cheap! Anyway, they're kind of bare and a bit shiny... what sort of paint could I use to colour them? I was thinking something matt green or dark brown, but wasn't exactly sure what sort of paint I should get...

Any ideas?

T

The Monk

I wouldnt bother mate, if you`ve ever swam out and examines what your leads look like under water, they usually appear black or sink in the silt

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Cheers folks

Monk - I did wonder if I might be making a fuss over nothing, so in the interest of science (!) i may try doing a couple of "one rod painted lead, one rod bear lead" tests over the next couple of months. I'll let you know if I come to any conclusive results...

I must admit that particularly when using a lead clip, I smart a bit at paying ?1.20 a lead... am I being tight?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Jim, I'm a bit tight too and what I do is tie a load onto a loop of line and leave the lot in the margins when I'm next out fishing. They'll soon dull off.

T

The Monk

I can remeber Jim once leaving some leads outside the shed for about 12 months and lichen grew all over them, they were great and really looked the part, I also went through a spell of coating my leads with then plastic coating you can buy in a variety of colours, I think however these things catch more anglers than fish. When I used to swim out with my baits I would position them nice and neat in visible spots, I`ve also checked so called anty tangle rigs after they have been casted out and a lot of them don`t appear to work how they are suppose to do, other baits I`ve cast out have landed in silt yet the carp have still found them, but the leads if you can see them often just look black

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Jim,

For a really pukka finish try smearing the leads with a little waterproof glue and then rolling them in sand or very fine gravel/grit. This alone gives an extremely natural look, but you could always do a camou job with a couple of the little tins of matt enamell paint afterwards if you want.

sis the roach

Reaction score
yes hammy you are quite right just soak them in vinegar i have aii ways soaked all my small shots as well for the pastb30 years it also makes them softer

W

Wolfman Woody

I've painted soem of mione white with acrylic paint.

You see them better at night when you're trying to catch them. I'm sure carp and barbel don't mind at night. It's never affected my catch rate.

Woody Blanker.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

Cheers folks

I've painted a few with some acrylic paint I found in my local stationers... they look just fine. I'll try some in vinegar too and leave a couple outside.

There's one particular lake I fish where a hole between two islands nearly always produces a carp or two - trouble is, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose the lead on the way in. That's just the clip doing its job, but not at ?1.25 a pop thank you very much Mr Korda Fox!

Thanks again - as I said, if any patterns emerge, I'll let you know

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I went a bit overboard with some shiny leads I bought. I covered them in glue and then dipped them in sand. Then I mostly used them at night!

B

Bill Cox

I've made my own leads for years now and i have experimented with several different paints and finishes, Powder coating works really well and you can even camo them up if you want to. You can even buy paint in spray cans that come out in a dappled multicoulored effect one particular gives a gravelly/sand finish. Alongside this i have used brand spanking shiny just cast weights and dulled down ones and it is my opinion (humble) that it matters not a jot. I just use them uncoated now as its cheaper and easier.