rods for kid

alan

Reaction score
im looking for a set of rods for my kids, but im not sure what type.
im not after makes just guideance with length/ test cure/ match,carp,float etc.

the first is for a 12 year old, average build,
the second for a 8 year old, small for his age, struggles with holding 11 and 12ft rods,
the last is for a 5 year old, again struggles with the longer rods.

the youngest has a whip, but finds it
boring, he much preferes having a "real rod" as he put it.

they all do a mixture of float and ledgering and fish for everything rather then 1 species. mainly still waters, although there is a local canal we want to try.

i keep thinking of getting them a match rod each, but will they cope with floats and ledgering?

can i get match rods that are around 8ft?(the middle one has an 8ft peir rod that he can cast and cope with easily)

will a match rod cope with double figure carp as well as the smaller species?

any ideas?

E

EC

Alan my advice is to go for a budget 12ft match/float rod. Nowadays they are light enough for youngsters to use and will do most of the jobs you ask!

Some I think are still built with a screw in attachment in the end eye so that screw in quiver tips can be used.

However the budget priced gear is not that expensive, so you could purchase a separate quiver tip for under ?30 if you wanted. I picked one up off ebay for ?20 new, so you wont be spending out too much!

Drop me an email if you need any more info.

B

Ben Paternoster 4

alright mate
when i first started fishing at 10 (about 9 years) i had one of those 6ft rods that argos sell.For the price about 15 quid with a reel they are top value i managed to catch a 14lb carp on one.
I personally think match rods over 14` aren`t capable of playing a good double as i have seen carp snap match rods.
But i if you know what doing a 12` rod is capable if the venue is not to snaggy.

alan

Reaction score
Cheers EC, i was planning on budget stuff any way. the kids wont get the use to justify spending to much.

the only problem i can see is the 2 younger ones cant cast a 12ft rod, they can both cast an 8ft one with out a problem(just over 50meters for the 8 year old, not that far but on a cheap peir rod its pretty good)
at the moment im casting for them, but as is usual they want to do it themselves.

can you get smaller match rods?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Not too sure about 8' rods Alan. Kids would have a tendency to lean out further when casting. Not a very good thing to do especially on the canal mate.

E

EC

I'd still go for the 12 footer mate, I've got a masterline 12ft budget job here and its spot on, 10mins of practice they'll be ok.

alan

Reaction score
Ben ive looked at the argos ones, but im not sure they would cope. the puddle(cant call it a lake its not big enough) we fish dosnt have big carp, the biggest is supposed to be around 15lb, but they are like steam trains.

alan

Reaction score
good point Baz, i hadnt thought of that, where i normally take the is only about 12 inches deep around the margins and about 3ft in the middle, so no major worries if they end up going for a swim.

12ft match rods it is then. thanks all.

E

EC

You'll get something plenty decent for less than 30rips, much cheaper if you shop around.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
There's a John Wilson "Prime" series including a 10' match rod - just looked, there's one on ebay... won't be a Titan 2000, but it won't be rubbish.

E

Evan

What about looking out for a 10' light ledger rod that will at a pinch double as ok for float work ?

Seem to remember Browning did a cheapie or two in their Zebco or other derivative ranges that would or might suit.....

alan

Reaction score
hhmmm, 10 ft might be a bit easier for them then 12ft.

Alan i will see if the local shops sell them, i dont like ebay.

Evan agan i will keep an eye out and get the kids to have a play.

thanks once again.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Alan have a look at dragon carp they do a feeder rod and float rod plus reels for 29.99 I have a couple of their rods barbel and carp and they are as tough as old boots and wont let you down.They also do 10 foot rods alan.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Alan, I just Googled 10ft feeder rods.

About 5 years ago I took my nephews fishing, age 6 & 9. They used a 10ft carbon swingtip rod (Silstar - mid 80s) and could handle it OK though it was very light, possibly a bit fragile for a youngster. There's good reason why short solid glass rods are OK for kids, their toughness (the rods not the kids!).

T

Terry D

As an angling coach who is out coaching children nearly every weekend during the summer, you really need to get the the biggest rods they can handle. I would suggest you look at light weight float rods and don't get anything shorter that 12ft for the 2 eldest boys. You could get a 10ft feeder rod which the youngest could use for float fishing at a push, but don't get anything shorter than this. With short rods you really are limited in the depth you can fish at and the distance you can cast. With a decent rod I usually get lads casting very well after about 10 minutes and I always use 13ft match rods. If they learn to cast these, they'll last for years to come.

alan

Reaction score
Gav ive heard nothing but bad reports about ordering from dragon, i will see if they are at the nec.

Mark, cheers for that, for ?10 i might have to order them.

Terry, i was thinking about a 12ft one for the eldest and 10ft for the other 2, when i say the middle one is small for his age there is about 4/5cm differance between the 2 younger ones.

distance and depth are not really that big a problem, where i normally take them is not very big, and they are fishing no more the then 20ft away, the depth is on average 2-3ft. we go there because its close, the fish are in perfect condition, hardly anyone knows its there, and the best bit is he doesnt charge me for the kids.

E

Evan

Mark yes that's the Browning Zebco beastie I had in mind - two tops, one threaded for add on quivers and swingtips, and just that wee bit lighter than a solid rod, tho perhaps just a little less robust on the flip side....
At a penny short of ?15 you can't get much cheaper for the quality.