Deep water, weedy, winter carping!!!!

C

Carp Angler

Most of the deep, weedy gravel pits in my locale tend to be very poor winter venues unless they have good depth variations.
This is not to say that the fish won't be in the deepest part, it's just that if the lake is uniformly deep it doesn't tend to fish well.

P

Philip Inzani

Totally agree CA. I would look for a lake of uniform shallow depth.

Not sure what you think but I also belive that weedy areas will be a good bet in winter (probably summer as well come to think of it!)

D

Dan Wellington

I agree with the weedy area producing in winter ( hopefully) But the deeper lakes not producing, is this possibly to do with alot of the fish laying up in the warmer middle/upper layers ? and consequently nowhere near the bait.
I've also found high pressure and shallower water to more productive in the winter with the fish possibly moving into the shallower areas, tops of bars,margins etc to feed .
Any thoughts on this chaps?

C

Carp Angler

I think this may all stem back to food.
As the winter sets in, if you give the carp food they will continue to feed thru the winter.
If they stop getting food, it can be very hard to kickstart them into grub mode again.
As Dan suggest, they could easily be well off the bottom for a significant period of time and thus nowhere near the food.
I think fish need to find their comfortable depth at anytime of year, it's just with their bodies slowed right down they can stay at that depth for longer periods.
Not sure about the uniform shallow water though Phil...
I do like depth variations!!

D

David Whitmill

A lake I fish varies from 6ft+ to as little as an inch on some of the gravel bars, lots of areas are under 3ft. What depth is best for winter fishing?, Is there a minumum depth that fish are likely to be caught from ?

P

Philip Inzani

I am not super experienced at this so I may be talking rubbish but my thoughts behind the shallow uniform depth was that these waters tend to warm up more quickly/uniformly than the ones of deeper or varied depth. I also believe that the carp in these type of waters are more inclined to move around greater distances looking for grub and so in turn need to eat more?.basically they find it harder to sort of "settle" during the winter. Also as was mentioned I do agree that carp are more likely to move down to bait in relatively shallow water.

With regard to Davids question I think that it depends on the conditions. I think sun is a big factor in winter and on a really sunny day I think you can catch them in unbelievably shallow water as it warms up fastest.

Just some initial thoughts but I struggle and really open to alternative views.