**** Walker 10ft Avon

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
I have recently come into possesion of a Hardys Richard Walker 10ft Avon rod in pretty good condition.

Could any of the old school generation on FM please furnish me with any details they may know about this rod. i.e. value, rareness etc.

Many Thanks

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
Thanks for that Ian. Yes it is a fibreglass rod.

?150 not bad compared to some of the others on there.

I

Ian Cloke

It might be worth holding onto for a while Juan, I can't see the rods value decreasing mate ;-)

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
Yeah think I will, plus it does have some sentimental value but then again what is sentiment when I could have ?150 worth of new tackle! Cheers mate

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I used to have one of these rods, and then I smashed it.

A nice little rod for general legering and chub fishing.

The length of 10 feet makes it ideal for fishing small rivers.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Have to say I didn't know Hardys' made a fibreglass Richard Walker Avon 10ft.
Mine is classic split cane, made by B.James and Son, with brass ferrules, bergundy whippings. Lovely jubbly!
I reckon mine-which is in mint condition- is worth around ?300.

P

Phil Heaton

While you are all in the mood I have a dark brown 10' long Bruce & Walker Mk4 Avon G compound taper B James & Son rod. The handle is still in plastic shrink wrap, the reel retaining rings are like new, as are all the rings. The butt and tip rings are pink ceramic lined while all the others are plain chrome.
My enquiries are;
1. What is the approx. test curve rating of the rod.
2. What would be a suitable line strength range for it.
3. Is it suitable for tench, chub and barble fishing.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Hardy's made a number of fibreglass rods designed by **** Walker; the Avon (a lovely light rod and more tippy than the more common B James cane or glass version) was introduced in 1970 and was still listed in the late 1980's, which is when I got mine. There was also two versions of the MkIV, a standard 1.5lb tc and a stepped up 2.25lb tc. The Matchquest and later Matchmaker rods were influenced by Walker in his consultancy role with Hardy's; he is pictured using a Matchmaker on the front cover of the 1974 edition of Stillwater Angling and again on the cover of '**** Walker's Angling'.

They also made some Walker-inspired fly rods, most famously the 'Superlight', beloved of reservoir trout fishermen in the 1970's. A lesser known lighter version was also briefly available, called the 'Little Lake'. Later on came the graphite 'Farnborough', so called because carbon fibre was initially developed there.

Hardy's also made a few split cane MkIV's and MkIV Avons for a short period in the late 1960's. These are quite rare and extremely desirable; probably the best MkIV's to be commercially produced and far superior to the common B James version.

Phil - your Bruce and Walker Avon will have a test curve of a little over a pound and would be ideal with lines of three to eight pounds bs; yes, it's ideal for tench and chub, and average-size barbel in moderate flows. It might be too much to expect it to cope well with a Wye double in ten feet of floodwater but for small river barbel it's a pretty useful tool.

By the way, B James & Son became Bruce and Walker around the end of the 1960's, James Bruce being the founder of B James.

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
Yeah of course Mark.

It would have been my intention to offer it to FM members first anyway.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Did you know Fred that in its time, the Richard Walker Superlight was the biggest selling single marque of rod that Hardys ever made. 9 1/4 feet long with a line rating of 7/8, it was extremely light for its time. 3 3/4 oz if I remember.

The last time I used the Superlight was with Jim Gibbinson in 1979 on a high altitude lake in Natal.

When I smashed it in the car boot, I was sick for weeks. It was the last glass fly rod I ever used before my conversion to carbon in 1979.

The "Little Lake" - 9 feet long and rated 6/7 I also possessed, but I sold it to pay for an American Fenwick carbon blank which I made up myself.

The Matchmaker was a lovely glass float fishing rod who's design was also influenced a little by Billy Lane. Bill and Walker were very good mates.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I'm not suprised Ron - the Superlight turns up every day on ebay! I've still got one, as well as a Little Lake and two Matchmakers.

The astonishing thing about the latter is that despite being soft enough to use 1.5lb lines with stick float and caster, I've used 5lb straight through to land several double-figure carp. They appear tippy at first, but hook into a big fish and they take on a lovely progressive through-action.

richard harris 5

Reaction score
i have a bruce & walker mark 4 fibre glass rod for sale mint condition with original bag.

best offers considered

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

This thread is over 12 months old .........