Rod Pods out of fashion or not

paul80

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just getting back into fishing after a few years break and noticed on the bank and on the TV fishing shows that Rod Pods are now out of fashion.

What happened to them, why did they go out of fashion in favour of bank sticks.

Paul

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When everyones got a load of new banksticks the pods will come back in fashion and everyone will go out and buy new pods LOL.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Distinctly out of fashion with so many hardcore carpers, only "noddies" use them, aparently. You are more likely to see some barbel anglers using tripods and modified carp pods than you are carpers. It does seem to depend on how solid/expensive/tarty they look. If and when I use the pod (that I bought primarily for barbelling) for carp, I usually get lots of questions about it.
I suspect that there are plenty of carpers that might be tempted to use a pod but are too scared to go against the current fashion.

terry m

Reaction score
Angling fashions - pah!!

If I am using multiple rods in an area where it is difficult to get banksticks in then I will use a pod. If the ground is bankstick friendly then I will use banksticks with buzz bars - simply because it weighs less.

If pods are in a demise then I suppose we can look forwards to a load of knuckleheads hammering in six individual bankstick with a big hammer - wonderful !!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Personally I care not one whit about fashion when I'm fishing....but as I'm not a carper I really wouldn't know what was in or out anyway. I suppose that makes me a noddy but do I care ? I most certainly do not.

Quite agree. Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about the way I do things. When I feel that a pod is the best way to go given the circumstances, I'll use one regardless. To be honest, I quite like being contrary in terms of kit and methods.;):D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Angling fashions - pah!!

If I am using multiple rods in an area where it is difficult to get banksticks in then I will use a pod. If the ground is bankstick friendly then I will use banksticks with buzz bars - simply because it weighs less.

If pods are in a demise then I suppose we can look forwards to a load of knuckleheads hammering in six individual bankstick with a big hammer - wonderful !!!

Banksticks don't always need to be hammered in, or be in great numbers;)
Jerry
barbelboi-albums-c1-picture2891-sp-22-08-11.jpeg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I can picture em all now LOL

paul80

Reaction score
I'm a bit of a cheat, I use one of the Korum XT Tripod Feeder Arm attached to my chair with the buzzer bar attached to that, but then again I am not a propper carp angler anyway so its probably ok. I do have an old Fox light weight pod but as the name suggests its too light weight to be of any propper use.

Thanks for the replies guys

Paul

paul80

Reaction score
Mind you most of the lakes around here have wooden and sometimes plastic staging, I would have though the use of a pod a must, but no, they all struggle to get their bank sticks jammed in between the staging planks.

Paul

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"They all struggle to get their bank sticks jammed in between the staging planks" ...thereby giving you a quick, reliable guide to whose opinions aren't worth a dry f*rt and who can actually think.
Useful!

agamemnon

Reaction score
well i must be a noddy then as i use my pod 90% of the time. but then my pod is a fox a pod that is about 10 years old so i must be a poorper noddy to boot

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Pods versus bank sticks; horses for courses really.

Personally I don't give a tinker's cuss about being fashionable or not; I want a pod that is stable, not too heavy and simple to erect.

If I want my rods farther apart then I use carbon bank sticks because they are so light.

Noddy or not I'm happy with my Solar Worldwide pod, and I've got the extension legs too for use when barbel fishing on bigger rivers.
All around a pretty good pice of kit.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...erton-2010-picture2024-worldwide-rod-pod.html

dezza

Reaction score
I use a pod a lot when fishing still waters. It enables me to support my rods/rod without sticking a rod rest into the ground.

On the Trent I tend to use long bank sticks with spiral thread at the end which you can twist, even into spaces between rocks, that provides a secure rod rest.

So in carp angling it's not about how many, or how big the fish are that you catch. It's all about POSING!

Is that right?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
On Hard Ground, like some of Club Waters I fish which have Swims made Up with Hard Core/Rubble, topped off with Hogging there is no choice but to use a Pod.

But I prefer to use Bank Sticks so that I can point the rods at the bait as I have had the pod pulled over when I have a voilent take on the outer rods.

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
Come on, don't talk rubbish, surely carp anglers are not like this.

:confused::confused::confused::eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

Ron,
before you cast aspertions, go onto the carp forums and see for yourself.

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Noddy or not I'm happy with my Solar Worldwide pod, and I've got the extension legs too for use when barbel fishing on bigger rivers.
All around a pretty good pice of kit.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...erton-2010-picture2024-worldwide-rod-pod.html

That was one of my options but I'm not a lover of stainless steel. I ended up with the Fox Ranger. Expensive and pretty heavy but excellent none the less. I've never come close to having it turned over whether using it up high for barbel or set low for carp. If I feel the need to travel light I just use the buzz bars on bank sticks.

cg74

Reaction score
You guys really have no idea what's what in the carp fishing scene....... The reason pods have fallen out of favour, is simple; you don't need to use a hammer/mallet to assemble them.:wh:eek:mg: