Signs warn Polish anglers to 'stop eating all the carp'

I

Ian Cloke

Firstly it was drivers in Cheshire who had to cope with road signs on their country lanes being translated into Polish.

Now it is fishermen at a Welsh beauty spot who have been left baffled by warning notices in the Eastern European language.

They have been put up to stop immigrants who cannot speak English from fishing illegally after reports they were taking home and eating fish caught without a licence.

The Environment Agency claim the signs are needed at Erddig Country Park, near Wrexham, North Wales, because of the town's large Polish population which dramatically increased following the expansion of the European Union three years ago.

It follows the introduction of anti-poaching patrols along other riverbanks and lakes across Britain last year amid concern that Eastern Europeans were catching massive numbers of British fish illegally.

They are particularly interested in carp, which has protected status in Britain but is regarded as a Christmas delicacy in Poland.

Although there is no carp in the River Clywedog at Erddig, the Agency said they were concerned that Polish fishermen were unaware of British law and could have been landed with big fines as a consequence.

But the signs have angered local residents, who claim they are simply pandering to political correctness, and that they would be better translated into Welsh which is the first language of many in the community.

Jane Redfern Jones, 41, spotted the signs while out walking her dogs in the park last week.

"I am not a racist or against Polish people in any way," she said last night.

"But the Environment Agency seem to have lost the plot. There are quite a few Polish people in Wrexham, but not as many as there are Welsh speakers.

"It is wrong that Polish signs have been used instead of Welsh ones."

Philip Davies, Tory MP for Shipley, West Yorkshire, branded the signs "ridiculous."

"It is absolutely bonkers and is doing nothing for promoting integration in this country," he said.

"How are foreign nationals living in Britain going to learn English if everything is handed to them on a plate in their own language.

"I am sick to death of the taxpayer footing the bill for lunatic authorities to translate into different languages.

"They need to stop this ridiculous form of political correctness."

The Polish signs were erected alongside English signs at the entrance gate to the park last week.

They warn anglers that anyone caught fishing without a valid rod licence, which costs around ?24, could face prosecution and a fine of up to ?2,500.

Fishermen are allowed to kill only two freshwater coarse fish a day using a rod and line, and using large nets or fixed-rod lines to catch large numbers is illegal.

Richard Dunstone, spokesman for the Environment Agency, defended the move to erect the Polish signs at the park. He said the signs cost "pennies" to produce and were funded by money recouped from rod licence payments and not the taxpayer.

"We have had a problem with Polish people fishing without a licence and eating the fish,' he said.

"Some of the specimens are for sport fishing, they are big fish and are not supposed to be taken.

'They (the Poles) were just fishing as they would at home. The Polish version was to help them understand the law."

Around 1,500 Poles have registered to work in Wrexham over the past four years. The growth in the immigrant population has been so rapid that North Wales police, lead by controversial police chief Richard Brunstrom, have announced they are actively recruiting Poles into the force.

continues......

I

Ian Cloke

They believe that Polish-speaking policemen will help advise and cut crime among the expanding immigrant population.

Last month Cheshire County Council were criticised after it emerged that they had erected eight temporary Polish road signs in Crewe and Whitchurch, in neighbouring Shropshire, to stop immigrant drivers getting lost in road works.

They claimed the diversion signs on the A49 were necessary following complaints from police of Polish motorists causing mayhem on the roads.

Up to 265,000 Poles have come to Britain legally in the last two years, prompting the launch of several services aimed specifically at them.

Last month Yorkshire Bank became the first in Britain to launch a telephone service in Polish. Lloyds TSB has already opened its first Polish branch in Manchester.

And last month, signs written in Polish advertising NatWest's new bank account aimed at migrant workers sprang up on hoardings across the country.

T

trev matthews

mmmm only a few short months ago the angling world were up in arms because the Polish were taking our fish. Now weve put up signs in an attempt to stop them, were moaning about it ? Why ?

Ado Rus

Reaction score
Isn’t nice to see an English sign when you travel abroad. Like for example when you cross over to France, Drive around Spain, Greece, Germany and even Turkey. Have you tried fishing abroad? But didn’t know where to turn. You looked at the signs but they had no meaning to you? Unless you were lucky they had an English translation.

Fish are getting killed so EA does something to help and they still get kicked down.

J K

Reaction score
Jane Redfern Jones, 41, spotted the signs while out walking her dogs in the park last week.

It doesn't say she is an angler.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
When travelling or fishing abroad it's always advisable and curtious to try to learn the language a bit!

steveo

Reaction score
UNBELIEVABLE....

I myself have had many many moans and voiced my concerns about the Eastern Europeans and our fish.

When finally it appears that something may be being done by the EA to educate the Polish etc that we like to keep our fish alive and happy in our rivers,lakes etc.

The Welsh are moaning about it.Tell you what,put the signs up in England,Im sure there are plenty of Fisheries/Clubs/Syndicates that would be gratefull for the signs.Let the Welsh get their fish eaten.

Some People

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I have put signs up in Polish on some of my club waters.

The local lads asked me what they said. I told them that seeing you don't seem to understand plain English concerning rule breaking, I thought I would try you out with these.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The trick is, to keep a straight face when you say it.

They look you in the eye, then they look at their mates, then there brow creases over showing they are thinking about it, then they give a half hearted nervous laugh.

Islander

Reaction score
Woud'nt be much point in having signs in Welsh if the Poles coud'nt understand them!!!

S

Steph McKenzie

Did the signs they put up read "no pole fishing" or "no eating fish caught on a pole" or "no pole dancing" do they have signs up in welsh that read "no fornicating with the sheep".

Call me synical, but are the welsh moaning about the signs being in Polish or that they are eating the fish?

Good work by the EA for at least having the balls to act on the info they are receiving regarding polish illegal fishing and illegal killing of fish stocks. Education is they way forward.

Regards

Steph.

darren richards

Reaction score
amazing ! jane redfern jones opens her mouth before registering her brain and suddenly "the welsh" are moaning.if she had a brainshe wouldunderstand the importance of the signs. and also the little knownfact that polish people speak polish, and bad english. and the other little factthat mostwelsh people cantspeak welsh anyway. 265,000 in 2 years. its no wonder i cant get a decent job

Chris Frankish 2

Reaction score
Cemex have got the right idea..

Even the Welsh would understand it/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

TakeNote.jpg

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Being Capital of Culture we havemulti - languagesigns on the fisheries here in Liverpool

they say:

" NO TAKIO THE FISHIO "(Spanish)

"FISHEN TAKENVERBOTEN"(German)

" YOU NO TAKEE FISHEE"(Chinese)

"NOSKI TAKESKI FISHSKI"(Russian )

W

Wolfman Woody

And -

"SCALLIES - NO NICKING THE F**KEN FISH! STICK TO HUB CAPS." (Scouse)

The Monk

Reaction score
In Manchester we have a multi cultural signs which say takio fishio and we cut off bolicos

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

signs up in welsh that read "no fornicating with the sheep".

This English phrase has no known translation into Welsh.