Shelf life's shelf life

F

Frothey

Does anyone worry how long that bag of shelf lifes has been sitting on the shelf - especially at this time of year when there hasnt been as many people fishing?

come to think of it, should freezer baits have a "best before" on the bag - the co's all tell us about the stringently tested human grade materials they use, so surely they go off....

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I remember asking you this question a long time go by email and you said shelf life boilies will last indefinitely and be useable providing they don't go mouldy.

I have some boilies in my garage freezer that have been there for three years so I hope they don't go off.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I often think about it Frothey. I also think freezer baits should be dated.
As for making yoor own with a base mix, I even think if what we are paying for, is what it actually says on the packet. For all I know it could be crushed cornflakes.

F

Frothey

They will last, but will they be as effective?

nutrabaits put the contents (but not quantities)of their mixes on the packets - cant see why others dont, especially as most red fishmeals are basically the same....

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Will they be as effective?
Now there's something to talk about. chatting to one of the Carp lads last week, he said he couldn't think of anything worse than topping your swim up with 'fresh' boilies. He sometimes puts his boilies in a bucket of lake water to wash them out, for topping up purposes. So how effective are 'fresh' boilies?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Dave, I ask what could be wrong with an old boilie, what could happen that would make it less attractive to fish than a fresh one and I would assume it would be smell seeing as that is presumably the attraction anyway. If that is the case and assuming the fish smells what we smell then a soaking in boilie dip would rectify this. If it were the ingredients that broke down then I would think that would be visible or at least make the boilie crumbly.

Or isn't it that simple?

matt

Reaction score
What if any danger do old boilies present to a fish?
I'm sure old shelf life and freezer baits have been used effectively to catch carp on many, many occasions.
If they where a threat to the fishes health the repercussions would have been evident before now.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I have a box full of old boiles/groundbait/pellets of various ages and provenace in the shed.If the mice do not get to them before next season, I am going to chuck the whole lot in the Thames to try and get a few bream.Might be in a nice idea for a fish -in?

Seriously, I feel too much emphasis is given to fresh bait.

F

Frothey

Now there's something to talk about. chatting to one of the Carp lads last week, he said he couldn't think of anything worse than topping your swim up with 'fresh' boilies. He sometimes puts his boilies in a bucket of lake water to wash them out, for topping up purposes. So how effective are 'fresh' boilies?

theres a difference between a boilie thats had the flavour washed out overnight, and one thats sat in a packet for 2 years...

what can go wrong? if boilies are as simple as just bunging some flavour on them, why dont we just go back to using soya/semo and overflavouring them - they'll work just as well wont they...

whatever preservative they use, a shelf life bait cant be as nutritious as a frozen one can it?

you have had a load of trout pellet sitting at the back of the shed for 2 years, would you use it?

F

Frothey

Seriously, I feel too much emphasis is given to fresh bait.

depends what you mean by fresh nigel, as some things can be more attractive as they break down.... but they cant break down if they are preserved, can they ;)

njb51

Reaction score
I can't remember if I saw this or not, or whether I misread it, but on the cover of one of the monthly (?) mags, some bloke was condoning the use of mouldy old boilies.

I'll see if I can find it again next time I am in Tesco.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It was also said on this forum Jonny, last year.

F

Frothey

i use boilies with "mould" on them - the white coating is sugars and "stuff" coming out of the bait as the bacteria break it down.... but you rarely see shelflifes do that.

P

paul williams 2

The next thing out will be boilies in cans.........in salted gravel pit water, mark my words!!

matt

Reaction score
Oh I thought we were discussing using old preserved or old frozen boilies not whether preserved is better than frozen.

or soya semolina against nutritional.

Yes I would use two year old trout pellets if they smelt ok.

F

Frothey

all 3 of those matt!

smelt ok to you or the fish?

the bags pellets come in have a definate shelf life - the oils go off if exposed to air. sure you might catch, but it might be despite the pellet, rather than because of...

would you buy some freezer bait a bit cheaper if they told you it had been at the bottom of the freezer for two years?

P

paul williams 2

It's all about how confident you feel as an angler......one thing i have learnt over the years is that what we, as humans, deem to be OK matters not one jot!!

Personally i would go for straight off the processing plant if i could!...and i would pay a bit more for better bait.

Problem is we have absoloutly no idea what we are paying for!!

matt

Reaction score
When the oils have 'gone off' you can tell by the smell if you have an educated nose !

I would buy the two yr old freezer baits and be confident in their use. Especialy if the price was attractive. Unfortunately I'd be suprised if the seller let on they were old. Most would just sell them and say nowt.