new to carp fishing

chubby48

Reaction score
can anyone please tell me is it cheaper to make ur own carp boilies---or buy them----thanks

richiekelly

Reaction score
it depends on wether you are going to be using them regularly or not, to produce large amounts you will need a wide rolling table, a gun for squeezing the sausages out something to mix your ingredients and a way to boil your baits, it can be quite expensive to buy all of this in one go and if you only use them now and again not worth it.

terry m

Reaction score
The investment in specific equipment would probably make it much more expensive to make your own - unless you are planning on producing boilies in significant quantities over a long period.

clint4782

Reaction score
....and you would be daft not to consider quality and consistency of what you can produce in the early stages compared to a recognised producer. (I know there are discrepancies in mass produced bait too, but overall I think it perhaps fair to say that it is relatively consistent!)

I know many lads who successfully make their own bait, indeed even go on to sell it, but it's not for me I'm afraid; time, money and space mean I can't justify it. That isn't to say I've not considered it, but after spending time researching an article with a company in Staffordshire who were kind enough to show me the basics, (and some of the secrets!) I think I'll leave it to those with far greater knowledge than I!!

I think as a newcomer to carp angling, it may be wise to find a ready made (shelf life or freezer) bait which suits both your budget and your angling, use it extensively and try to understand why it works before trying to replicate it........

terry m

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, with the quality of shop bought offerings, I am not sure why the everyday carp angler would want to make their own boilies, unless they have loads of time on their hands.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, with the quality of shop bought offerings, I am not sure why the everyday carp angler would want to make their own boilies, unless they have loads of time on their hands.

Because i can make them much cheaper than tackle shop prices [ less than half than charged by tackle shops ] its also nice to catch on a bait that you have made yourself where you know what is in it and have developed it over time, as for time taken to roll bait i can make around 10 kilos in 1/1/2 hours at a cost of approx £25, to buy a decent ready made would cost anything from £85 to £100.

clint4782

Reaction score
Because i can make them much cheaper than tackle shop prices [ less than half than charged by tackle shops ] its also nice to catch on a bait that you have made yourself where you know what is in it and have developed it over time, as for time taken to roll bait i can make around 10 kilos in 1/1/2 hours at a cost of approx £25, to buy a decent ready made would cost anything from £85 to £100.

Fair points; once the initial start up costs are met it is much cheaper, but the OP may not be as experienced as others and I (just an opinion!) consider that finding out more about bait using a 'recognised' pre made brand would be a good starting point BEFORE moving own to rolling his own? I also know many lads (as I'm sure you do) who have spent considerable amounts of money setting up only to find it's not for them and sell the equipment....

I think it best to say 'each to their own....'

Tight lines........:)

terry m

Reaction score

Then clearly your reasoning stacks up, I am less convinced that your circumstances would apply universally though.