Night Fishing

A

Andrew Webber

Do any of you guys night fish for pike at this time of year?

R

Rob Brownfield

Yep...sure do...as do many down on Lomond. I have thick snow by me, and the waters are frozen, but as soon as it thaws, i will be out there.

A

Andrew Webber

Do you get much action at night? I've never tried it personally but I'm thinkin about giving it a go.

R

Rob Brownfield

In the winter, i seem to pick up fish about an hour into darkness, and then again, abut an hour before daylight......in the summer..i have had fish every hour of darkness.

A

Andrew Webber

That what I was probably going to do anyway. Fish a couple of hours of darkness at dawn and dusk then wind in.

G

Gary Knowles

You must be a very light sleeper Rob. I've always been to scared of missing a couple of bleeps and deep hooking fish to night fish (other than a couple of hours into dark at the end of a session)

C

Chris Bishop

Too cold for me. There are a lot of people zander fishing all night round here, even this time of year, and few pike caught.

I night fish spring/summer/autumn, but never sleep on the rods for fear of deep hooking fish.

R

Rob Brownfield

Gary...thats a good point. I am actually a very light sleeper when it comes to fishing...guess its years of sleeping in forests waiting for the "enemy" to attack...lol! I knew the army training would come in handy!

I actually find I wake up a few minutes before a run...almost like an extra sense...same happens when carping..its a little spooky sometimes. I sleep head next to the rods...none of this bivvying 30 yards from the rods for me....and 9 times out of ten, i am actually not even under cover, prefering the old Kevin Maddocks style of fishing.

It is however a very valid point, and I would say that if anyone is a very deep sleeper, either dont night fish for predators, or, when sleeping, wind in.

A

Andrew Webber

I've spent a lot of time carp fishing and I do sleep with the rods out but thats not really a problem. With Piking I'd never sleep with baits in the water, I've had a few fish wolf baits down in the middle of the day before I've had a chance to strike, not nice!

I

Ian Whittaker

Nice point Rob, night fishing isn't just about being woken by an alarm.It can be just like fishing during the day with your eyes closed!

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris...my waters are still frozen solid!!..grrrrrrrrr

R

Richard Bytheway

ive had alot os sucess fishing thro the night .
fish that i would never have caught if i hadnt , not just into dark either im talking 10 12 and 2 o clock in the night.
weather this is due to them being more confident at night or just coming on the feed , who knows.
i fish front and rear alarms with the front using a reciver which is right by my ear hole on max volume ! not deep hooked one yet , dont plan on doing so.
give it ago !

A

Andrew Webber

I know I posted 'are you man enough' as part of the title of this thread, but its friggin cold at the moment. I am gonna do a couple of night sesssions but I need to be prepared. I've night fished for carp up until october but fishing this time of yeah is completely different. Any tips on fishing and surviving would be much appreciated.

I've got a standard titan bivy without the winter skin, bedchair ,5 season sleeping bag, a waterproof one piece and a non waterproof one.

P

Paul Williams

Andrew,
The equipment available nowadays makes night fishing in the recent conditions childs play......the only equipment you haven't mentioned is foot gear and theres plenty of that too.
For pike fishing ( though for myself it's more likely roach these days)i would probably not bother with a bivvy (unless i was gonna real in and get my head down)an open style is much better.... i would wear the one piece, wrap the bag around me and then cover myself with one of the waterproof/breathable fleece lined thingies made by Trakker, it is easy then to keep warm but also "crash" out if need be.
Head gear would also be a must...i find a hooded fleece worn under the one piece nice and also a fleece hat........then i would convince myself that i aint really mad!

A

Andrew Webber

I am definately lacking in the footwear department. All I've got are plain old waders or wellies. Haven't even got any thermal sock!

I see a lot of you guys use those fielb boot type things, they look ideal except I normally have to get in the water at some time where ever I fish.

D

Dave Johnson

Barney "2 bottle of Bells nightcap"' ....no wonder he sleeps heavy...seem to rememeber him sleeping through a 57 minute pull at Melton.....poor Bream was round the Island 8 times before the line snagged and self hooked....the bloody bite alarm needed new batteries!!!!!

G

Gavin Walker

I think your a bit mad night fishing at this time of year! I do alot of night fishing but usually leave it from around the start of november till about march.
On some hard fished waters,notably loch Ken, fishing at night is sometimes the only way to catch anything other than jacks.
On one occassion we got 7 low doubles between 1am and 3 am.
That definately beats sleeping!

R

Rob Brownfield

Andrew W..have u shought about neoprene waders and a pair of wading boots? U can get chest, waist and thigh waders, and a single pair of boots...so warm and easy to use. Prices have tumbles, and u can get a set for ?100

A

Andrew Webber

ARGH! I wish I had read this forum tihs morning, I've just bought some wychwood fieldboots. Oh well, never mind, something else to make me look like I know what I'm doing.

I've thought about what you suggest Rob. Are they just basically neoprene waders without the sole on, which yoo put a special hiking type boot over the top?