Wintle?s World ? All England Glory

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Any link between my departure from the scene and the new found success of the team is purely coincidental!

There's plenty of memories surfacing as a result of yet another good article. In the early years of the national side, it was called Barclays Bank Bawtry as that's where the captain/secretary then resided (Bob P.) and it was he who had to attend the NFA regionals.

I "picked up the baton" only because no other mug volunteered. We immediately became a Southern Region Association (Oh how I loved those trips all over the so called south for the NFA meetings!).

There were some very fine match anglers working for the bank across the country but most were already in better teams in higher divisions. We slowly chipped away but only managed to tempt a few.

I also vividly recall a conversation with Howard Humphrey - "you must be joking" - seemed to sum it up, or words to that effect (I'm not sure if it was directed at me or someone else!).

Absolute highlight of those times for me was being called into the bank's Chief Inspectors Office (think Gestapo and multiply x 10) to explain a "bank cheque" made out to "Billy Knott Bookmaker". Well our odds were very long and as it turned out, rightly so!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I remember Chris Osbaldeston as the original team captain (again Yorkshire), and Bob Pickering later. I do remember Howard Humphrey getting Bob dropped from the team on the Witham, and a certain amount of friction as a result. It was the following year when on the Welland that Howard dispaired of the team - 'on the drop' waggler fishing for roach completely stumping some members of the team. I think it was Neil's quip about hoping for a 4lb chub (on the wide Welland) that provoked Howard's remark.

As Neil says, there were one or two star anglers that could not be tempted - Tony Hague of Bradford was one. Bradford were the best National team in the late 60s (rated for the first points National), although I think Tony did join us in 1983 on the Witham.

The standard of the team did rise significantly in the late 80s - in the early days half the team only fished the association matches plus the odd club match. By 1987/8/9 it was nearly all open match/WL anglers. You need good WL anglers at least to do well in Nationals, as well as a good team manager (Kevin Taylor's record with Barclays of consecutive 4th, 3rd, 2nd is a tremendous achievement).

Nippi

Reaction score
I was proudly part of the successful team that rose from Div4 to Div1 in successive seasons and winning bronze and silver team medals along the way easily ranks as my best ever moments in my match fishing career! The buzz of being on stage collecting those medals in front of so many anglers were very proud moments that will live with me forever.

Through our success we gained a superb sponsorship deal from both Barclays Bank and Mel Wilde' Octoplus and we were even installed as one of the bookies favourites by time we got to Div2 on the Huntspill and Somerset drains. We didn't disappoint either finishing second to Delcac and pushing the mighty Shakespeare Superteam in to third place off of the next peg.

Despite those medals however, the moment that I will always remember the most was actually that 4th place on the Nene that Mark mentioned. At the time the team were hopeful but up until then unproven. On the day we felt that our points tally was probably enough for a top 17 finish and automatic promotion. However, by time the results had got down to sixth place we thought our chance had gone. We were beginning to feel a little dejected that we had probably just missed out as per the season before on the Witham where we missed out on promotion by a mere 10 points. So imagine the jubilation we felt when we were called out in 4th place. We were stunned and I have to say that has to be my proudest ever moment.

The reason that this stood out above the medal winning performances was because of the emotion of what we had achieved against all the odds. We hoped but didn't really expect! From then on we had belief and confidence in each other and as a team and genuinly believed we were capable of picking up those medals because of the quality of anglers we had and the amount of homework we had put in. Fantastic memories that I will treasure forever and was very proud to have been part of.

Just a pity you missed out on the medals Mark! (Sorry couldn't resist).

gareth young

Reaction score
nice article which brought back a load of memories for me. i was in the team for each of the 4th 3rd 2nd results, and captained the team to the 27th finish on the DIV 1 trent and mersey canal where we beat derby AA off the next peg on their own sewer.loads of memories like how we twigged that feeding 5 pts of hemp and 50 maggots was the method on the sedgmoor drain, (and hearing that dave harrell wellied 3pt of maggot in on the next peg, for virtually last in section)Using white squatts over black groundbait in the margin so you could see eyeball roach and perch take the bait in gin clear water of leeds liverpool. i caught 28 ruffe in a scratching match on the huntspill in the worst gale i have ever fished in,and have never caught one since on there. funniest thing was seeing Billy Knott had us at 6 to 1 to win the Trent/Mersey div 1, when we got there,and asking who had stuck a load of cash on to bring the odds down to that, to then be told - "nobody, your just not having me for a 4th year running".

Nigel Lawson

Reaction score
Blimey Nippi you've set me off - I remember that 1987 National - fishing on the North Bank in a howling gale. Mark Wintle was alright where he was all nice and protected - feet up in the sun in his deckchair all la de dah - ha ha!! Us men were out in a force 10!! All the practice fishing Wag and Mag went straight out the window - my first catapult of mag ended up at the top of the Bank behind me, my pole looked like a bent banana so that got chucked up the bank as well - and so it was five hours on the wand for eels and a few bits - whilst watching the guy on my left fish the biggest waggler I have ever seen for a netful of roach and a well deserved section win. I forget where I was in the section, but for the team to come 4th - I can remember the results being announced back at HQ and by the time 6th was announced I think we all felt we had seriously overestimated our points total - and then there it was 4th Place and miles off third, so no chance of a medal.
I didn't fish the Nationals for the next couple of years because the Match Team I fished winter league for said that if I didn't fish the National for them then I couldn't fish winter league - it was too far to travel down to Dorset to join in with Nippi and Mark - I really fancied fishing for Wimborne, I think their attitude was just about right and was far more relaxed than those serious boys in Christchurch etc....and it was also the period before Team Castle was born - I guess that's another story, but what a fantastic couple of years I had with that crew - along with Nippi and Mark.
So time moved on to 1990 and the Div 1 National on the Witham. I had a row with Dave Sweet (one for Mr Wintle to remember) who was the Match Team new captain, and told him what he could do with his Winter League as I was going to have a go at fishing the Div 1 National - how many match anglers can say that they have fished at that level - not many! Kevin Taylor offered me the chance of joining the squad and boy did we all put in some practice. Come the day of the match I was on Section C (I forget where that was), but it wasn't anywhere near where we had practiced - but I followed the team plan. The guy from Brighouse on my left had a 3lb bream at 11 metres in the first ten minutes, threw his pole up the bank with the words that's the team points sorted' and went on to the tip for the rest of the match. The guy on my right tipped it the whole match and dropped the first 4 dustbin lids that he hooked at the net. I felt real sorry for him - I think he managed to land 3 or 4 in the end. I stuck to the team plan - I figured that no-one was fishing the eel line so they were mine - but boy were they small. I kept trying the tip but just couldn't get a sniff. At the end 69 (out of 90?)hard earned points - 1 point behind **** Clegg who was at the other end of the section - gave me my best ever National performance. Those are days to remember!!

gareth young

Reaction score
remember when it was 5 divisions, 90 teams in each. i just looked at the nfa site and only 172 teams over 3 divisions last year.pitiful.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Nice and protected! Pah! I simply knew the fish by name. I was (still am) prepared for the North Bank because I still carry the big floats in the rod holdall.

No medal? Maybe but I scored over a hundred points on the Huntspill - you lot will have to figure out how! Gus knows part of the answer...

It says something though that a team that was one place behind Shakespeare twice and in front once must have been some team.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Mark, from your extensive archives(!) can you list the team members over that very successful period? PM me if you'd rather.

I'm intrigued to see how many, if any, I can remember and if they were previously amongst the "no hopers" alongside me!

Nippi

Reaction score
Blimey; Nigel how are you? Long time no see. Nice to see you've come back to the darkside!

Yeh, yeh Mark we all know your bank running skills were invaluable!!

Neil, good question and one I'd like to know the answer to myself. My memory is not what it used to be! Here's what I can remember; I'm sure others can fill in the gaps?

Kevin Taylor (Manager)
1 Myself (Wayne Nippard)
2 Gareth Young
3 Andy West
4 Tony Holmes
5 Kevin Pargeter
6 Neville Phillips
7 Dave Staniland
8 Vic Smart
9 Colin Janes
10 Martin Griffiths

Not sure if Colin and Martin fished all of the promtion years and whether Kevin fished any of them although he was an excellent manager.

Others that played a part at some point were; Mark Wintle, Nigel Stowe, Nigel Lawson, Dean Luker, Dave Simpson, Bob Pickering and Vernon Beak.

That's the best I can do. Over to you boys?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Neil,

1977 team
B Scollick
N Stow
D Thomson
A Williams
M Wintle
C Osbaldeston
B Hinsley
J Cobbett
D Van Der Merwe
N Maidment
P Morris
R Oxby

M Cunniffe
T Holmes
N Stow
W Nippard
A West
G Young
D Simpson
M Wintle
C Janes
D Staniland
N Lawson
D Luker

Wayne missed Dave Freeman and A Kemp

Nigel Lawson

Reaction score
What about the 1990 Div 1 National team - I can remember:-

Kevin Taylor (Very Serious Manager)
Mark (They're silver bream)Wintle
Wayne (Gloria) Nippard
Dave (Big Essex Pitman)Staniland
Martin (On the blow)Cunniffe
Tony (Skinhead)Holmes
Nev (On the P**s) Phillips
Nigel (I like bloodmeal on my maggots) Lawson
Kevin (Superstar) Pargeter
Dave (Call me Mr Browning)Freeman
Gareth (Nutter - say no more) Young
Andy (The Joker)West
Who was the last person and who was reserve - wasn't it a Landan boy who is now in Northampton - Dave something?

Nigel Lawson

Reaction score
Wayne - I think Colin's last National was the 1987 one. He thought he had blown out on the North Bank and didn't bother coming back to HQ. he rang me on the Monday afterwards and couldn't believe we had come 4th. I used to keep in conatct with him when I was in London - he retired from the Nationals I think a) because it was getting too serious and b) I don't think he was mad keen on the pole

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I well remember Nigel Stow and Dave Staniland, both good anglers.

All the others? Havn't got a clue, can't be much cop, never heard of 'em.

Anyway, forget the Nationals, when is Mark going write about something important?

Like the Witley Park matches, travel and B&B in luxury courtesy of Les Madell and Terry Ball Camper-Vans-R-Us!

Or... a certain foray to Stourhead and a definate lack of gas to cook breakfast! Remember that Nigel??

Nigel Lawson

Reaction score
Didn't Dave eat the bacon raw? That was after all his maggots had up'd and escaped when they got wet!

I remember the camper-vans-r-us esacapade to Witley and a certain young Mt Nippard getting plastered on Zuider.

There was another occasion at Steeple Langford on a blistering hot day, when H fell asleep and a very nubile young lady arrived, stripped off, walked right past him and dived in the Lake. Brings a lump to my throat.....H never forgave me for that

kevtaylor

Reaction score
Re: Wintle�s World � All England Glory

Just started using this forum - Nice to see you chaps talking about proper match fishing days, when Nationals had over 900 anglers taking part, not like today! We had some excellent anglers fishing for Barclays Bank AA then when I got Mel Wilde involved Barclays Bank Team Octoplus. I still look at my Bronze medal from our 3rd place on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal on 10 Sept 1988 and the Silver medal for 2nd place on the Huntspill on 9 Sept 1989.Although I was Team Manager I also fished in both matches.
I didn't fish the 1987 National on the Nene as I fished for Peterborough that year.
I have still got all the results, weights & points details as well.
Great days

Mark Wintle

Reaction score

Hi Kev, it's an old thread - 2007 - but the memories are fresh as ever and good to hear from you. I obtained a team picture of what we think is the 1978 Barclays team with Howard Humphrey earlier this year. I must have stopped doing regular articles for Fishing Magic about that time to concentrate on writing fishing books; 4 published, one due out in November and just started writing a 6th.

kevtaylor

Reaction score

Hi Mark....great to hear from you. I can still remember when you drew the flier end peg in the BBAA Individual Match at Medley on the Thames in 1990, I think it was. What a swim you had to win the match & I came 4th from the next peg upstream. I was fishing the Open Circuit around Derby & Nottingham in the 1970's and my first National for BBAA was on the Ancholme in 1984, so can't remember the 1978 team. I managed the team from 1984 to 1990, fishing all the Nationals for the team apart from 1987, when BBAA came 4th & started a fantastic run. My last National for BBAA was the 1990 Div 1 on the Witham. After I left, I'm not sure how much longer the team fished together, as I then fished for Peterborough for 6 years, we won promotion to Div 1 & our division of the Angling Times Winter League in December 1995. I packed up match fishing in 1996, as I was not interested in fishing carp puddles!
Well done with the books Mark, I knew that you had written a book on fishing for Big Roach but did not realise that you had written others as well.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score

Kev,
After 1990 the BBAA was 27th on the Trent & Mersey. I was supposed to fish but during practice I felt the venue so alien to me that I dropped out, The following year (1992) the team was relegated on the Trent; I didn't fish. I suppose at that point several team members realised that regaining that upward motion would be impossible and a much weakened team was again relegated in Div 2 on the Nene in 93. The new team captain that year (not Gus) was local to me and had always harboured an ambition to fish the National despite having little match experience and insufficient ability; he got the job as no-one else wanted it. He tried to persuade me to fish and took umbrage when I refused but I had enough on my plate and was starting to back off serious match fishing; the amount of travel involved didn't help. A shame really that all the hard work went to waste but great memories of the two Nationals of 87 & 90. I don't think BBAA fished after 93 with funding disappearing as well.

kevtaylor

Reaction score

Mark......thanks for filling in the gaps. NFA Nationals after that seemed to go into decline, proper match fishing was in decline, carp puddles supplied easy fishing with parking behind your peg - the rest is history. A real shame. The last time I saw some of the lads from the BBAA team was at Bob Pickering's funeral. Andy West, Vernon Beak, Martin Griffiths & others but had not heard about anyone from the team until I picked up on your thread.
The time I spent with the BBAA lads was the highlight of my match fishing career, as a team manager / team member, 3 successive promotions in 3 years & 2 medals - magic.

Here is the result from the 1987 Div 4 National when we got 4th place with 617 points.
Sections -
A - Tony Holmes - 1lb 6oz - 41 pts
B - Nigel Stow - 0lb 15oz - 42
C - Wayne Nippard - 1lb 3oz - 36
D - Andy West - 2lb 7oz - 60
E - Gareth Young - 2lb 9oz - 48
F - Dave Simpson - 4lb 10oz - 67
G - Mark Wintle - 3lb 10oz - 70
H - Colin Janes - 0lb 7oz - 22
J - Dave Staniland - 2lb 8oz - 68
K - Martin Cunniffe - 2lb 1oz - 53
L - Nigel Lawson - 1lb 14oz - 61
M - Dean Luker - 1lb 11oz - 49

What an awesome result on a very difficult River Nene. But the following year it got even better!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score

It seems BBAA survived in the Nationals until at least 97 as they were still in Div 3 then.

Re Bob Pickering, apart from the 83 Barclays Championship and the 91 Medley match when you were 2nd, though not off the next peg, I also won it a couple more times, the last being in the late 90s at Makins when Bob was Chairman. I had a dream day winning with 54lb and poor Bob could only watch as he had 3lbs off the next peg, then had to present me with the cup that evening, which he did with very good grace, saying that he had a crick in his neck from watching me.