The Alternative Angler ? Curious Crabtree

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I have had the thought recently that there should be a number of Crabtree type Fish-Ins. How about starting with 1 rod and a loaf of bread on the Ribble?
Snake belts and black wellies are optional.

captain carrott

Reaction score
"if so who could it be"

Swordsy! he's not too bad with them cartoon thingies.

certainly not Ron they wouldn't be able to understand his foriegn accent.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Come on Kevin we have all done the Crabtree thing take a lad fishin and as soon as he hits out decent its are you sure you can manage ill do it for you if you want go on giz me rod back you jammy little bugger.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
What Ho Chaps

Unfortunately the cost of even junior footmen these days has forced me to employ Eastern Europeans for most of my servant roles and whilst these may enjoy a days fishing - I'm trying to keep them away from the estate lake and feel that might encourage them to fish in my private lake.

Tally Ho

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Right up to the start of the 60s, bringing home the odd fish or two was part of the whole trip. A nice perch of a pound and a half or a 6 pound jack was always welcome.

I remember proudly carrying home a 6 pound jack strapped to my gaff with the cork on the point, which in turn was strapped to my crossbar.

Mr. Crabtree once had to admonish Peter for shuffling his feet during a bream session.

And what's wrong with clonking a 6 pound chub and having it stuffed?

Reaction score
Good lord Ron!

At my Grammar School shuffling one's feet during a session was a beating offence, not a mere admonishment. And you Northern folk claimed to have had it tough!!

Sorry Ron misread it -you referred to a bream session, not "a session". Ah school days..best days of your life...jumpers for goalposts, fagging for senior boys, abuse, emotional scarring..made me the man I am.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Ron....I think your gout is affecting your feeding/baiting skills!

The 6lb chub bait stands out like a sore thumb!!

Carrot.....I have a plan!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I'll bet I'm the only one amongst you who has actually employed servants.

A can of baked beans and a kick up the ass a week Melud!

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Aaah! Those were the days. Jam sandwiches, small bottle of Tizer, a few crow or peacock quill floats, some penny hooks and split shot in a baccy tin, spanish reed rod that weighed a ton, a bakelite reel and nulon line (usually about 8lb bs).

Lucky little b******s of today don't know they've been born.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Lucky little b******s of today don't know they've been born."

You know what Frank?

I think that is was us and not the kids of today, who were the 'lucky' ones.

Personally, I wouldn't have traded my angling 'upbringing' for all the boilies, bolt rigs and bivvies on the world.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As to the Tizer, although I loved it as a kid, I'd often save the money in order to get another 6d worth of 'gentles' to go with the shillingsworth I'd already saved for.

My Nan used to make my sandwiches and put in a piece of home-made sponge cake and an apple.

Off I'd trot to the local park pond and then a few years later off to the Thames at either Kingston or Hampton Court - and on a 'proper' train too - a steam one!

Halcyon days as far as I'm concerend.

One of these days I really will get around to revisiting those early fishing haunts, and who know I might even try to write about them too.