Get Started with Specimen Tench Part 2 - Baits

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
By jove I enjoyed that. Very interesting statistics there and maggots seem to win hands down overall.

I have mainly used maggots in the past and will continue to do so based on this information although I may experiment with some flavours.

My tenching is definately in its infancy and these articles are invaluable.

nicky

Reaction score
just a thought, but could it be that maggots have come out on top because they are used more than the other baits

Steve Holland

Reaction score
It is a possibility, however, tench do show a preference to more natural baits such as bloodworm, worms and maggots. Obviously other baits like boilies, pellets and most definitely corn will catch tench, but I still reckon its down to their fondness of natural grubs that make maggots the top tinca bait.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
On one water I fished last year I could see the tench feed at close range. They wpuld eat all the hemp, maggots and casters and leave the corn, maize and boilies.

On other waters I've fished corn has done the job very nicely.

What I'm saying is that it all depends on the water you're fishing and, to some extent, how you feed.

njb51

Reaction score
It is interesting to see that artificials are scoring quite highly too. I'm assuming these are used among freebies? Or do these figures count single hookbaits also?

F

Frothey

why do i catch so many tench on boilies and crude rigs?

if you want a mega tench boilie, try mainline grange, a couple of us had to stop using it because we kept getting wiped out.

F

Frothey

cant really remember - was a while ago - so i'd say no more than normal.

fruity fishmeals have always been the ones (other than grange)

F

Frothey

its got fishmeal in it, but its a fairly "active" bait - very cheesy smell to the bait. never seemed quite the same when mainline had to change the CSL due to bottles exploding!

i used it with strawberry-ade instead of sweet-ade and with nash's strawberry oil palatant as a dip

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
Nicky's comments that more tench come out on maggotts as they are the most popular bait is valid. Its a bit like a "going" swim on a lake that is fished 24/7, it's bound to produce more than areas infrequently fished. However the statistics are still interesting and help to illustrate that "traditionals" are still very effective in capturing tench despite all the modern bait developments.

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
EC: Pellets are not singled out as a significant category in the annual statistics so cannot report with any certainty.

M

Mat HIllman

Every time I try maggot for the tench on my local venue I get a constant stream of 3 inch perch!

How do you avoid nuisance species when targeting tench with maggot?

Mat

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
You might try Enterprise artificial maggots which are more resistant to attack and seemingly less appealing to bait robbing perch. If not then you will have to move onto corn, pellet, 10ml boilies for example. I fished CEMEX Theale 1 that has a big head of silver fish that makes maggot fishing a bit of a pain, so I used big lobworms instead. Not a fashionable bait! but catches loads of tench.

M

Mat HIllman

I've been using pellet, pastes and cockles with some success (although nothing huge yet), just seeing those charts made me think I should be on the maggots rather than anything else !

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Statistics can be extremely misleading.

For a chart to show how effective a bait really is it needs far more information on it i.e. it should show rod hours per fish on a particular bait and show the results for each water as different coloured bars.

I personally would rate caster as the number 1 tench bait and I know plenty of big tench fisherman would agree with that.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I appreciate of course the old saying 'There are lies, damn lies and statistics...' but it did seem a very large bias toward the maggot.

Can you flavour casters the same way as maggots, i.e plastic bag, squirt of flavour, shake em up and leave overnight?

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The majority of my biggest tench fell to caster, and I reckon I've fished a good variety of baits, not just caster. Second to caster was corn.

This on waters with carp (and the inevitable pellet and boilie) and without carp.

F

Frothey

Can you flavour casters the same way as maggots, i.e plastic bag, squirt of flavour, shake em up and leave overnight?

but then you are probably taking away some of what makes them such a good bait. bit like if you flavoured casters....