Chris Yates

darkuser80

Reaction score
Well it had to happen, Chris Yates is now the Fishing columnist for the Daily Telegraph, not bad for a traditionalist.......

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And thank goodness it's a Tory paper too.

I think I will change from the Express to The Telegraph forthwith.

E

EC

Tory, that word conjures up another in my mind, yes, I know it, laughingstock.

What's his column like then Mr Merlot?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"I think I will change from the Express to The Telegraph forthwith."

You'll never be able to do the Telegraph crossword Ron ....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ed, I normally nick a copy of The Times and do their crossword in about 10 minutes.

B

Bill Cox

Ron whats wrong with Chris yates writing for the Telegraph??

goody

Reaction score
Ron, so you read the Express, now there's a surprise !!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I also read The Times and the Financial Times on odd occasions. Both good newspapers that tell you the facts.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Chris Yates writing for the Daily Telegraph. I think it's a good idea and that he will spread angling's message in an excellent manner.

Even though he is a bit of an eccentric, and a lousy fly fisherman, his heart is in the right place.

I am certainly not jealous of him, having to bring up 4 kids as a single parent. But I take my hat off to him doing so. I had to bring up one kid as a single parent and that was enough.

And whilst we are on the subject, do you really expect me to read rags such as The Mirror, The Daily Star and The News of the World. They are full of lefties writing about nothing else but football, sex, Big Brother and Coronation Street.

And with the usual over-busomed doxy on page 3.

They don't even have a stock exchange report!!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
One thing I thing you should have learned years ago Ron is that you don't get brownie points because of the paper you read, it makes you neither worse nor better. Its a bit like the attitude that because you fly fish you are a bit better than those that coarse fish, I have got no time for it myself.

I had the Express for many years and then the Telegraph for the last 20 years until recently when I stopped having one at all because if I want news I listen to the radio or watch it on the tele, newspapers are crap these days.

As for doing the Times crossword in 10 minutes I will lay you a bet Ron. I will give you ?10 for every minute that you complete it in less than 12 minutes and you give me ?10 for every minute over, hows that?

E

EC

Quality Graham, but we both know that will be like taking sweets off the kids!

Substitute 'Sun' for 'Times' and 'less than 12 minutes ' for 'less than 60 minutes ' then you might get Ron back on the thread to take up your wager!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Try The Times quick cross Graham!

And I hate any form of snobbery between the angling styles as much as you Graham.

Except you do, from time to time, find people who know no better, calling fly fishers: "Fluff Flingers". We don't actually fling fluff at all!

Fishing is fishing. It does not matter what you are fishing for, it's all the same, and I love trotting for roach, lure fishing for pike, legering for barbel as much as I love casting a nymph for a reservoir trout.

captain carrott

Reaction score
And I hate any form of snobbery between the angling styles.

which is presumably why you keep vaunting the superiority of the art of the fluff flinger then is it.

T

The Monk

I must admit having fished with Ron he is one of the few anglers who can cast a fly perfectly in just about every style known to angling

I too am quite fond of nymphs

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Heyup mate, I was talking to this lovely nymph the other day by the name of Barbara. She was asking after you - "That Manc bloke wit' gammy leg."

She was in the shop the other day and had to nip out back. "What's wrong?" said one of the customers.

"Me boobs ev slipped aht me bra!"

I think you had better nip over the hill one day and come and chat her up.

Mind you, you might need an interpreter.

:eek:)

Buy the way Carrott, you said it, I didn't!

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Talking about newspapers, the only newspaper I read occasionally is my local Evening Sentinel, like others on this forum, getting my news from the radio, TV and Internet.

What I'm about to tell you is nothing to do with snobbery or anything like that, but I recently read a copy of the News of the World while on holiday. I bought it because it was the only Sunday newspaper they had left and I was desperate for something to read.

Less than half way through reading it I threw it in the bin. I'm no snob or prude but I honestly felt that my intelligence had been violated. There were sensational headings to news reports that had little to do with the body of the story, stories where every fifth word was printed in bold so that every ounce of sensationalism could be wrung from it. It was written in a style that made me feel sick.

I stared at the paper in the bin for a long time after, feeling ashamed that I'd spent good money on such a moronic rag.

I apologise to those who read the NOW, and I do realise it's Britain's best selling Sunday newspaper, but I can't help the way I feel.

In a desperate situation I wouldn't soil my a*se on it if there wasn't a dock leaf for miles around. I'd rather use a nettle.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Well said Graham.

None of the papers that support the Labourites are any good. The Mirror appears to be anti-angling and the standard of English in these rags is bloody atrocious. They are designed to appeal to the brain-dead.

When the headlines proclaim the problems that that moronic slapper Jade Goody is having, over and above far more important issues in the world, then I dispair.

I can imagine the headlines one day - God forbid:

"Jade Goody in Gang Bang with Harry and his platoon!!!"

And in tiny letters: "Iran declares war on the USA."

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

My comments were nothing to do with politics Ron. All the red tops change allegiance according to how many extra readers they can get at the time.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Seems about right Graham.

To illustrate how bad these rags are, here are the latest headlines from them:

NOW:

"Corrie Jimmi in new drugs shame!"

Daily Star:

""Why I axed Louis and Kate!"

Daily Mirror:

"Exclusive Big Brother Cover-up"

Who the heck in their right minds is interested in such dross?

Certainly such crap is an insult to the intellegence of the average British person.