Licence concession extended to more disabled anglers

I

Ian Cloke

The almost three million people who receive Disability Living Allowance in England and Wales are eligible for a half price fishing licence from April 1, 2007.

The Environment Agency has extended the disability concession ? which used to cover only Blue Badge holders with severe mobility problems ? to include all people receiving Disability Living Allowance. New rod licences can be purchased from 15,000 Post Offices and other outlets which sell them. For more information telephone 0870 1662662 or visit www.environment-agency.gov.uk/rodlicence.

A review by the Environment Agency, the Disability Rights Commission (DRC) and the British Disabled Anglers Association (BDAA), found further scope for the half price licence beyond the 30,000 that now claim the concession.

?Angling is one of the most popular outdoor activities amongst disabled people,? said Environment Agency Head of Fisheries Dafydd Evans. ?We hope extending this concession will encourage more disabled people to take the sport up, including those with mental disabilities. We anticipate an extra 45,000 people will receive the half price licence.?

Terry Moseley, president of the British Disabled Anglers Association said: ?The Environment Agency?s inclusive approach to angling and disability issues is always very important, as its decisions have a significant impact for the number of disabled people who participate in fishing.

?The BDAA are in full support of the new extended coverage offered to disabled anglers. These changes, along with advances in developing improved access and disability awareness courses by the Environment Agency, is a positive step forward to the future of angling for disabled people.

?With changes to the disability discrimination act, and access issues being reformed by the Department of Work and Pensions, it is reassuring to know that the Environment Agency are forward thinking and address all the issues encompassing disability & fishing.?

Disabled anglers will need to confirm their eligibility for the concession by showing either a valid Blue Badge, or one of the standard letters from the Department of Work And Pensions that confirm current receipt of Disability Living Allowance.

Jane Harris, campaigns manager of leading national mental health charity, Rethink said: ?From Rethink?s experience we know that people with severe mental illness are often socially excluded from leisure activities such as fishing.

?We applaud the Environment Agency for extending eligibility for reduced cost fishing licences to all those receiving Disability Living Allowance. It is vital that all levels of government take action to remove barriers to full participation in society so that people can recover the quality of life they deserve.?

T

The Monk

It will help diasabled anglers considerably, they should not be excluded financially from the sport, they don`t ask to be disabled, but I think the EA should also take into account savings, as Goody suggests, those on low incomes, which may be no fault of their own, should also have some concessionary adjustment. We live in a free democracy (allegely)and should care for all members of our society who are honest and genuine and find themselves financially restricted through no fault of their own, once we exclude members of a society financially, the societal network breaks down and divisions are created. A progressive society supports its weaker members for the benefit of all.

T

Terry D

I don't mind disabled people getting a discount when they can not work and earn a decent wage, but I am strongly against subsidising those that can afford it and drive around in a better car than me and live a much higher standard of living etc. etc. Some just take the p**s out of the system. You just have to look at how mobile Heather McCartney is and she still has a blue badge!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Once we exclude members of a society financially, the societal network breaks down and divisions are created. A progressive society supports its weaker members for the benefit of all

Well said.

T

The Monk

thanks Janet, this is something I firmly believe although I do accept that there are those in society who would act in deviance to the system and the depravity of those who are genuine, the system lends itself to this in many respects and new leglistion is presently going through the Houses to assist those who wish to move forward, although the Government is reticent to make these moves mandatory. Part of my job is to help those who wish to move forward into training and education and or give them the option to operate in the volunteer section, indeed I have got many long term sick onto degree courses and many who have social issues (drug and alcohol rehabs) into both the volunteer sectors and further education, in addition we help many with basic skills deficits, some achieving Level 3 and 4 qualifications and becoming viable in the employ,ment markets after years of non-activity and recovery, many funding streams are inplace now to help the long term sick who wish to move forward in life.