river rod question...

dnahacker

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been away from coarse angling for a loooonnnngggg time, i have been sea and (mostly) fly fishing.. My fly fishing club allows coarse fishing in the trout closed season...

I took a friend as a guest onto my little bit of the itchen last sunday for a bit of fun, had a cracking day, a pike of 14lb, grayling of 2.5lb brownie of 3 lb and a chub of 2 lb..

made me want to do a bit more... i have pike tackle sorted already, i have a quiver tip i bought a couple of years back with the intention of fishing for winter chub..

i want something to trot with...

searching the local classifieds i found an ad for a browning 13ft "special waggler", i arranged to have a look, i was greeted by a lovely (disabled) lady who told me the rod was her husbands he had only used it once before he died... she olny wanted 15 quid for it , well being the big soft sod i am i bought it....

The rod is a Browning "hot rods" special waggler 6g-12g casting weight, this is a method of rod rating i am not familiar with...

so my question i guess, will the rod be appropriate for general river trotting, grayling, chub, roach etc or it is a bit over kill (the special bit made me think it was aimed at carp)... i plan to do some tench fishing next year so i am sure it will come in at some point

thanks in advance

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
yes it will be suitable for fishing a river ,just because it says waggler on it wont stop you putting a stick float on for trotting,should be a nice rod

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't know the exact rod but the rating given (an indicator of the float weight they recommend it being able to cast comfortably) and description don't particularly suggest that it's a "heavy" float rod.

While it may not have what many would consider a perfect action for trotting, (stick float rods should have a different action to waggler rods) it should be able to cope with trotting without any real issues.

dnahacker

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.... will test it with some bread flake this weekend... thanks