Rainbow trout....Pure vermin of the highest order the new "RATFISH!"

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Rainbow trout should be confined to still waters in this country, although the River Wye in Derbyshire, still has a large population of naturally breeding rainbow trout.

The worst are the people who run the Southern chalk streams such as the Test, where they stock lots of big rainbows every year to satisfy the crude attempts of the "Hurray Henrys" and "Chinless Wonders" who are not good enough to catch the wild browns.

Rainbow trout, in confined still waters and reservoirs are fine, but not in our rivers please.

davestocker

Reaction score
Cut out the class insults, Ron. Would you like to hear coarse anglers referred to as a bunch of chavs who get their kicks from repeatedly torturing the same fish on overstocked commercials? No! So lay off....

P

paul williams 2

Quite right dave.........rainbows are put into our rivers to the detriment of anglers as a whole.....class has sweet FA to do with it!

J

Jeff Spiller

Lee can't you knock up a tasty dish, Crayfish Tails over fillet of Trout on a bed of Rocket Salad.

Everyone's happy, bit like road kill of the river.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a rainbow!
At least they don't muddy the water!
Plus have a short life span.
Also if it were not for the Rainbow, all the Browns would have been hunted to extinction.
The cost of trout fishing would be double what it is.
Plus I don't rate the fighting qualities of Brown trout or should I say lack of fighting quality..
And I've caught my fair share!

If anything Browns bring snob value!
"Oh! I only fish for Brownies!!" B*ll*cks!

Colin

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Colin brown trout fight like hell believe me ive caught loads on maggots while float fishing and the fight from a 2 plus brownie is nothing short of spectacular on a little stream.
Rainbows not in my stream thank you very much.

P

paul williams 2

Colin......i much prefer grayling and brownies on our rivers, perhaps thats the way to stock?

And rainbows are fine in landlocked lakes built for the purpose!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Dave,

I have absolutely nothing against people who have lots of money and are worthy enough to have earned it. Let them spend it as they wish say I and good luck to them.

The people I do have a go at are the monied oafs who have never done a stroke in their lives to earn their wealth. The majority of these people are spoiled, talentless, onerous swine who have aquired their fortune by inheriting it.

Bang on Colin. In many still waters, browns and rainbows live very well side by side. Any one who has caught a decent brownie from Rutland water will know what magnificent fish these are.

I agree fully about the fighting qualities of browns compared with rainbows, they can be very disappointing, especially in still water.

Gav, when you say that river brownies fight well, what are you comparing them with?

Compared with many coarse fish, river brownies fight much harder of course, but if you hooked a 2 pound naturally bred rainbow in a stream, you might get the shock of your life. I had to follow one once that I landed over 150 yards from the place I hooked it and it ony weighed 2 1/2 lbs.

On a 5 lb tippet and size 10 hook, no barbel or any other species on this earth of the same size would have fought so hard.

Rainbow trout in good condition are among the top 5 hardest fighting freshwater fish in the world. They are certainly the hardest fighting freshwater fish in this country and leave most of the rest standing, including seatrout and salmon.

J

Jeff Spiller

Ron you've forgot Bream in your top five of the hardest fighting fish in the UK, on our stretch of the Avon if you hook one of these bad boy's your a good man if you can drag it to the bank.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"Rainbow trout in good condition are among the top 5 hardest fighting freshwater fish in the world. They are certainly the hardest fighting freshwater fish in this country and leave most of the rest standing, including seatrout and salmon."

Can't agree with that Ron, the buggers eat anything (bread worms maggots) they give a scrappy fight, but nothing compared to a river carp or big barbel/chub. I suppose it depends what sort of fight you want from a fish? And it would depend what tackle you're fishing?

To be honest though, when you see it's a rainbow you tend to give it a bit more stick, similar to when you hook a brownie when grayling fishing.

P

paul williams 2

Sock on Steve.......

It's not all about the fight is it?

It's the thought of being on an intimate bit of river and catching a wild native fish....surely the value of that far out weighs the novelty of a flash newcommer?

Best fighting fish pound for pound is the Shad!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Ron I have only caught browns and beutiful they are too I just want to get one on the fly now, I knows were they living so watch out trout.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Well I think we shall have to agree to disagree on that point Steve. I certainly agree that a river carp, especially a common is a wonderful fighter. But compare a 2 1/2 common carp or 2 1/2lb chub or 2 1/2 lb barbel hooked in a river, with a 2 1/2lb rainbow trout. And hooked on similar strength tackle.

The rainbow trout will easily outfight the other three.

I wouldn't put the shad down as a wholly freshwater species Paul. I can think of a few estuary fish I have caught in my life that might best a shad.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And of course, barbel, chub and carp eat anything too.

So do brown trout for that matter. I've seen brownies taking dog ends off the top at Baslow in Derbyshire.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Fair shout Ron, I hooked a river common whilst bream fishing once. It took off like an express train! I saw the fish, but it slipped the hook. I've also caught a fair few rainbows on the river and they didn't go like that, but they weren't 8-10lb.

steven roberts

Reaction score
There are to many Rainbows in the river and they have started to kill of the brownies in our river.