Namibia

ian hewett

Reaction score
Has anyone on here used a fishing guide or travel agency to fish Namibia for shark??

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have fished the shoreline of Namibia - Hentiesbaai, near to the SA border many years ago. In those days the country was called: "South West Africa."

It used to have some of the finest beach fishing in the world. But we didn't fish for sharks, neither did we want them. There were a large variety of other species there that were very good eating indeed.

On occasions the fishing could be sensational, a fish of 20lbs or so every cast. I have seen anglers fill the back of a pick-up truck solid with Steenbrass, a fish very similar to the Norther Atlantic bass.

What it's like these days I do not know.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Sorry, Hentiesbaai is not near the SA border, it is far more north. That is where I fished. I am getting confused with Luderitz on the mouth of the Orange.

The problem with the sea fishing in this country is that the best of it is confined to the diamondiferous area which is restricted territory. Those b*****ds De Beers, patrol the areas, armed and with ferocious dogs. I often wonder why an area twice the size of the UK has to be banned to the general public, because of the silly notion that crystallised carbon can lose it's value if it wasn't.

If there is one company that I would love to see go down the tubes it is De Beers. They are a cruel bunch who have exploited Africa's mineral wealth for years and given virtually nothing back.

As far as I am concerned, diamonds are just another commodity and should be available in the cut or uncut version anywhere in the world.

Yet De Beers, who are nothing more than a "legalised" bunch of organised criminals have kept the world price of diamonds artificially high for over 100 years!

Sorry to digress!