Narrow boat Avon fishing question

Jim Urquhart

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Not sure where I should have posted this, so it's also in Beginners section ( sorry)...

I've not fished since I was at school (LONG time ago!) and I'm off narrowboating on the river Avon (we'll be connecting near Stratford & heading down) for a week at the start of July.
I want to buy a rod & kit for a chilled bit of float or spinning off the back of the boat and hope to occasionally catch lunch...

Can you advise me on what kit I should be looking at, and what fish I should be trying to catch.

At this point the only thing I'm leaning towards is a Shakespear telescopic (not sure which model/length yet, but smaller the better when closed as I want to carry it on my bike). Everything else I need?...well, I ain't got a Scooby!

Thanks in advance for any/all your advice,
Jim

P

paul williams 2

Jim,

I suspect a lot have read your post and the thoughts are varying greatly!

I think the bit about catching your supper will prevent a lot of replies or get you grief!

If you have not fished since you were at school, and that is a long time ago then i think you wil find catching your supper nowadays is more akin to the trout angling world....and you ain't gonna get that on the Warwick Avon!

Ask for help in how to enjoy angling and i think you may well get more help......and a little ribbing too for being a boater ;)

J

Jeff Spiller

Jim I read your post but like Paul said, it's the bit about catching your supper that stopped me posting.
Forget the fishing, enjoy the boating, there must be loads of pubs on the way and you can have a pint with your cod and chip supper.

Jim Urquhart

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, but if you told me I'd be pulling them out with every cast, then I'd not bother with bait...too much effort pulling them in!

I'm going on holiday and that,as you suggest, is what I'll be there to enjoy. If I catch 2-inchers all week, then I'll just send them back with the least 'hurt' possible...and a little smile...

So....what kit should a 'boater' buy for a relaxing holiday if he doesn't care what he catches? (REALLY!)

Jim :~)

P

paul williams 2

Jim,
Tell us when you are going,, PM if you like and we will bring you the gear down and reintroduce you to the wonderful world of angling.

Just get plenty of ale in....and only angus on the Barby. ;)

Jim Urquhart

Reaction score
Thanks Paul, I might just be in touch ( even if I have bought kit by then) the advice will be cool...and Angus will have stopped mooing by then...!

Jim

S

Steve King

I suggest you get an Avon type rod. There are some nice chub and barbel in the Avon and a something like the John Wilson Avon will be OK.

Don't forget to buy a licence from the Post Office and also don't forget to obtain permission to fish!! The BAA has several stretches on the Avon. One of my the nicest BAA stretches is at Fladbury.

Make sure that you stop at the Anchor Inn at Wyre Piddle! Decent food and you can (or at least could) moor there overnight.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What a strange question this is, I can't make up my mind whether you are serious or just having us on.

Firstly if you want to catch supper I suggest you head for the nearest chippie, Indian or Chinese takeaway forget any idea about catching it.

The other thing is about mooring the boat. I presume that you know you can't just moor up the boat to the nearest bit of bank and start fishing. There are rules about where you can and cannot fish and this usually entails buying the appropriate day tickets beforehand or joining the club on whose bank you intend fishing, in addition you will need to buy an EA licence to fish at all, anywhere. What you must not do is try to moor on banks that are not designated moorings as not only do you run the risk of grounding the boat but more importantly you will almost certainly damage the bank.

You can use an 11ft avon about 1.25lb t.c. for float fishing and for spinning if you so wish, there isn't any need to buy two rods, not the ideal solution but it will suffice. Such a rod will also handle most barbel that you are likely to encounter on the Warks Avon.

Jim Urquhart

Reaction score
Ok, Ok... fishing for lunch is, er..off the menu. Fishing for relaxing fun it will be!

I found the Enviroment website for a licence, no worries there. BUT!.. my thought was to just fish off the boat on the move (80 mile round trip) and when moored up in the evening!
I'm feeling a bit of a numpty now, but are you saying I'll need additional licences/permission for different parts of the river?

Jim (confused now & NOT having you on at all)

S

Steve King

Jim, you must have an E.A. licence plus permission to fish from the owner of the fishing rights.

You cannot fish without the consent of the owner of the fishing rights and in most cases this involves buying a ticket! Certain narrow boat holiday companies may imply in their brochures that you can simply fish off the back of a boat without buying a ticket - this is not the case!!

As mentioned, BAA hold the fishing rights for many stretches of the Avon, buying a BAA ticket is a good first move. Ask a local tackle shop about day tickets for other stretches.

Jim Urquhart

Reaction score
Thanks Steve,
As I'm only in the area for the weeks' holiday, is there any sites or associations that can give me 'maps' of rivers & owners to contact? I think this would be of huge benefit to know before I arrive...I have no problem with paying what is due, but I don't want to spend a holiday looking over my shoulder just-in-case I'm in the wrong bit of a river...especially when I'm not even getting lunch from it!

Cheers,
Jim

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
especially when im not getting lunch from it.
Hook line and sinker Jim that is magic have a good un .

S

Steve King

I don't know of a map showing who owns the fishing rights of different stretches, but you can fish the following sections on a BAA ticket:-

Barton & Bidford Right Bank
Bidford Left Bank & Marcliff
Chadbury Meadows
Charlton, Cropthorne
Cleeve Prior
Evesham, Swifts Water & Parks Farm
Fladbury
Lower Moor
Manor Farm
Nafford, Eckington
Pershore Left & Right Bank Pensham
Salford Priors
Twyning, Wood End & Mythe Farm
Wick
Wood Norton

If you want more info, then try ringing a local tackle shop - Alan's in Worcester are helpful 01905 422107.

Jim Urquhart

Reaction score
Thanks for the list Steve, I'll work out our exact route and give Alan's a call.

Jim