unusual baits

P

paul clarke

These cold , normally fishless days of winter always gets me thinking ahead to later on in the year. Over xmas i had a brainwave about a new bait ( well , for me at least !!! ) and one idea that i'd thought i'd ask you all is on the subject of raisins/sultana's . i.e has anyone ever used them ? the main plus points being that they can absorb liquids , ( the fruit in a xmas cake was the catalyst for this idea!!! ) and i would presume that they would stay on the hook quite well .so i was wondering whether they would be a good bait? this got me thinking about other unusual baits and whats the weirdest thing you've caught fish on? i had a very nice roach on a slice of banana once ( i was bored !!!!)

P

Paul Williams

Raisins/sultanas have been used before in the carp world, but don't let that stop you mate, i doubt very much if they are being used much nowadays and you may well start a "new" bait craze!

C

Cakey

Ive caught on marsh mellows,american hard gums,
I saw some one have it off on pasta shells fished under a float.

T

Tony O'dell

Caterpillars seems to work well for chub, especially those black and yellow banded ones..but its been done before....but worth a try for a bit of variety. The weirdest baits i have ever seen are those ones carp anglers use in South Africa, they carry a box of flavours the size of a big freezer box every time they go out, and use a bait that looks like a piece of sponge pudding covered in jam. Also have you seen some of those sythetic bait Americans use..was it called power bait...Terry Eustace use to stock them in his Gold Label Range...now they really smelt funny!

J

John Pleasance

I hope you averted your eyes Cakey! Sounds messy. LOL

I'm going to catch a carp on a leaf one day,haven't tried it yet but they are always sucking them in on one lake I fish.

S

Steve Clements

Not done it myself Paul (same old story really ) but raisins etc will swell with liquid intake......but I have an idea that soaking them in a liquer might be interesting i.e honey brandy , apricot brandy , bison vodka or how about cranberry vodka?.you really need to take the bottle with you and ask someone else to drive.
I have some yellow Berkely power bait but it smells very artificial so has stayed in the bag until I'm so fed up with catching fish that I need a harder challenge..any takers?
good luck

T

Tony O'dell

Steve, that last statement of your reminds me of when i was fishing an ultra hard carp lake in Northamptonshire. I remember this fellow angler coming up to speak to me after he had spent a week on there, and blanked. He informed me that he was pulling off the lake "as he needed a harder challenge"...bloody hell, there's not pleasing some people....

E

Eddy Garrett

Rasins worked for me on a small carp lake. Soaked in GLM then fished over hemp.

S

Steve Clements

perhaps he wants to try the car park?..no , not the famous RMC water but the car park.those historic Allegros , now theres a challenge

W

Wendy Perry

i once used butter beans and the roach went mad for em but they were awkward to keep on the hook and i didn't know how to set up a hair rig at the time i think i may try them again this year in the summer

S

Steve Clements

And now to be completely flippant , a fishing buddy of mine told of his greatest catch...52 minnow ! he was even catching them on , er ,'bogies'..mind you we were v. young and hopeful at the time.
Keeping it organic.

S

Steve King

A friend of mine had two carp well into double figures from the Warwickshire Avon on crabsticks. He was working as a chef at a riverside pub at the time, and as the crabsticks were well beyond the sell by date, so they were put to good use!

D

Dave Lindsay

me and my mate used to cath shed loads of dace on bogies from the river tweed a new craze coming i think . can you imagine walking round makins and seeing all the anglers with there fingers up there noses ha ha..we were 11 at the time honest

J

John Pleasance

Dave & Steve
I have no doubts about your stories of catching fish on bogies,what really worries me is what sort of mind could possibly think of using them in the first place.
Do they keep in the freezer or is just a damp hanky alright.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Fried egg white for chub (Hants Avon).

Tinned broad bean for carp (Birch Grove, pre Tim Paisley syndicate).

C

Craig w

I used Cheese & i hand line for small trout when i was a kid.

J

James Bradshaw

Re. Chris' ''dead mice'' idea... I had the idea of using frozen chicks for eels one night, as they're cheap (has to be a joke there somewhere...!) and easy to keep. After spending about ? hour plucking one, I slung it out and got a belting take from a pike... I've not used them again since then, I have to admit - maybe I should as I'm catching bugger-all on dead fish at the moment!