Heron bite alarm.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I purchased from a carboot sale this morning an old richard walker heron bite alarm,in in its original box,in very good condition and full working order(so i was assured).
The only problem is,i cant fathom out how to work the bloomin thing!!! Is this thing supposed to be powered by a battery??? If so,where does it go??? because i cant see where it does.Perhaps it is powered by pixie dust or unseen mysterious forces???
I have cleaned it up and unscrewed the main alarm and connecting box and checked all the gubbins...everything seems connected/wired up ok.All i want to do is see and hear the thing working.
Does any collector here own one or has had and used one in the past and can help me out????
The alarm cost me the princely sum of ?1

P

paul williams 2

hahhahaha....yes it takes a battery Nick, you should have seen the PP3 terminal after removing the back plate........but keep it for a keepsake, they were crap compared to todays alarms.

T

The Monk

how does it work, well it didnt most of the time Nick and yes I should have a battery in it, not as it would make much difference though

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Paul,excuse my ignorance but does it go in the main alarm thingy or the extension box thingy???
Were they really that crap Mr monk sir??? It would be really nice to use it and catch something...even if it was only the once.

P

paul williams 2

Nick......you know what... i can't remember!! well not 100% anyway.....i think the heron battery went in the extension box ( heron body too narrow for a PP3) and the latter BJ alarm went in the main body....Monk?

T

The Monk

yes thats right Paul, the heron had a box extension, we would put them in plastic bags to help prevent the damp getting into them, the BJ was self contained, no wires, but they largely had the same problem being unreliable, we did however modify the herons by putting GPO contacts in them, everyone was ripping phones out of telephone boxes up and down Britain so they could use the contacts for their herons, then a young lad called del Romang started doing conversions through the Carp Anglers association, Del did a cracking job with mind, I had three and he wired them all through the same box and put diodes in them, in addition he took the antennie and passed it through the side of the body, yours will come out through the head, obviously water entered the unit with the original design and the contacts rusted. Del of course went on to produce the Delkim

T

The Monk

If yours is original Nick, the battery box should be green and white with a red circular window in it, and the head green with a white plastic with a tin plate front with two screws in it

P

paul williams 2

You bought it back Monk!!.....i never had converted herons.....a few pals did.

I converted my BJ's to a T piece antennae ( with GPO contacts) that needed only slighty less heavy indicators to trigger them.....but they would also sound at drop backs.....sometimes!! hahaha

I had nothing to do with all the isotopes going missing from emergency phones tho.........honest?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Nick,

For only a quid, I would not bother to get it working. Someone just might by it off you as a collectors item in memory of days gone by.

If you want a decent bite alarm, get a Delkim.

T

The Monk

I think its nice to keep these things, I remeber me old mate, the late Leigh Moffatt had a clockwork alarm, I think the heron was designed from this, circa mid-1950s the clockwork one, cant remember who made it but I think walker and the CCC had something to do with the idea