colouring maggots

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Colouring white maggots

I've been wondering why there is no green maggots and would colouring whites with food colouring catch - I'm thinkjing of giving it a go but has anyone else tried it?
Obviously there is no point in colouring white maggots red or any colour you can buy from a tackle shop but have other colours been tried and no worked?

Tally Ho

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Lord Paul I have bought a pint of mixed in the past and it was full of all the colours in the rainbow but they didnt seem to catch anymore fish than usual favourites it just made it harder to choose which would become hookbait.

M

MarkTheSpark

Green is one of the more powerful food dyes you can get, so no reason why it wouldn't work; might benefit from a drop of detergent to help it stay put.

Green maggots, eh? Quite imitative of some of the food fish actually eat naturally, I should think.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have used green maggots years ago. They worked of course, but you can't buy them these days.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
That's my thinking Mark old chap - lots of intect grubs are green,so these might work well on nature waters, I might try it out a few times on still water ready for next seasons rivers sessions.

What's this about detergent wouldn't that effect the taste and smell? What would you use and how much.

Tally Ho

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You used to be able to buy green maggots,but they never really caught on ...which was surprising as they looked like little green caterpillars

Lord Paul

Reaction score
What Ho chaps

Looks as though I'll be in the laboratory over the next few weekends experimenting with white and bronze maggots and green food dye.

Tally Ho

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Green maggots have been around centuries, and despite looking like green caterpillars never much cop. If they had been you would be buying them instead of reds, bronze etc.

As a kid I used caddis grubs; some of those are green but it was the butter coloured nes that were always best.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

all i do to make mine more apealing is to get a felt tipped pen and paint little smiley faces on them ? got it takes hours i cought two roach the first time i tried it and they were killing themselves laughing when i unhooked them tight lines

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
One of my local tackle shops (The Fisherman) sells multicoloured maggots. From memory the tray contains red, white, disco orange, green and blue maggots!
Never tried them myself but someone must use them or they wouldn't continue selling them!

I

Ian Cloke

Lord Paul, riddle the maggots through sand before trying to colour them, to get shut of any dirt, grease etc...

T

trev matthews

Why the fixation with green ? did green boilies catch on ? No just stick to natural whites as nature intended

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Experiment Trev old bean - done follow the herd.

Invention is a great English tradition amde the empire and all that.

Tally Ho